1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question about Panasonic E30

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TommyVecetti, Feb 10, 2003.

1. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Hi, I've read loads of info about the panasonic and plan to buy it. I just have one question that I haven't yet had clarified or been able to find the answer to. I'll probably use the DVD-Ram for timeshifting only recordings. And DVD-R for archiving.

What I want to know is what kind of editing features do you have with just using the DVD-R discs on the panasonic? Could I record a program for 30 minutes long, stop it, and then record another program after it? Can I edit the adverts on DVD-R afterwards?

How long does it take to finalise a DVD-R disc on the E30?

I'd be greatful for your knowledge on the subject.

Thanks

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well firstly mate the e30 has just been replaced, with the e50. Though its about the same plus firewire (see link).

http://www.avland.co.uk/dvd/dvdr.htm#dvdr

I bought a e30 a few weeks ago and was a bit miffed when I found this out. But since there are no multiregion hacks for the e50 YET, Im not too bothered. Also Firewire isn't important for me.

Now if you look around you might find a retailer with an e30 in stock, but if your not to bothered about multiregion right away Id buy the e50. (unless you get a cracking end of line discount)

Now back to your questions.

"What I want to know is what kind of editing features do you have with just using the DVD-R discs on the panasonic? "

The editing facilities on dvdr are almost nill.

"Could I record a program for 30 minutes long, stop it, and then record another program after it?"

Yes. You can make a recording, stop and then make another recording and so on-of vaying lengths and recording quality modes-as long as you do not finalise until you are finished recording onto the disk. (not a problem as even if you want to make recordings days or weeks apart, you can still watch the earlier programs on the unfinalised disk on the e30 itself).

"Can I edit the adverts on DVD-R afterwards?"

No. you cannot partially erase and therefore cannot delete adverts on the dvd-rs. You would have to manually pause the recording at the ad breaks etc.. You Can however delete any of the recordings on the dvdr (in their entirity) if it hasn't been finalised yet. This however does not free up any space on the disk.

"How long does it take to finalise a DVD-R disc on the E30?"

Once you are happy with the dvd the finalising takes 4 minutes.

All in all I love this machine. O.k the editing on dvdr isn't great. But at the moment this isnt a big frawback for me. Also, my plan is to buy a panasonic dr82 for £199 when my standalone packs in. This plays dvd-r and dvd-ram as well as being macro/cgms free. So I can record on ram. Do all my editing and then copy to dvd-r-sorted. Hs2 might make more sense but too much for me at the moment in one go. Poor student and all :-(

3. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Hi, Thanks for the answers. I heard that the E50 is coming out in a few weeks.

I forgot to ask, are you able to create your own chapter marks on the DVD-R after the recording is made before you finalise the disc?

4. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No firewire on the E50 only the E60, HS2 and the replacement HS2 have firewire.

And as far as I can see about the only thing the E50 does that the E30 does not is play MP3's.

Also ferris57 don't expect the RA82 to playback DVD-RAM's smoothly, Where you make insert edit points on the DMR-E30/HS2 on DVD-RAM disc on playback on the RA82 it shows them up.

I think I will wait for the new range of Panasonic DVD Players all including the entry level model all have DVD-RAM playback ability.

5. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95

The E50 has progressive scan. Which is a big plus. But useless for me at the moment.

I use Tivo for timeshifting, so most of the DVD-Ram features are completely useless to me, esp since I don't have a burner on my comp.

I'd only really be using DVD-Rs to archive stuff.

6. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I think only the North American models (like the previous North American DMR-E30 and DMR-HS2) that have progressive scan output.

Going by AVland spec there is no mention of progressive Scan, But certainly on the spec announced by Panasonic at the CES, Las Vegas the North American model has progressive scan output.

I also archive material from my TiVo onto my DMR-E30 and it works very well and no doubt the DMR-E50 will be just as good.

7. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    It's a shame that the Panasonic doesn't use -RW as well.

I'm still torn between getting this and the Phillips 880.:confused:

8. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for the heads up yonderblue!
    Was actually thinking about getting one now it was so tempting. I guess I'll be waiting as well now :-(

9. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Decison over. I've just ordered an E30 for a bargain price!:clap:

10. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    HI TommyVecetti. I see others have answered your questions as I thought they would. Nice bunch of posters on this site too. Congratulations on your choice. I don't think you will regret it as the Panny units are far more reliable when copying from VHS archives. They accept any condition tape without a grumble....... Good luck. Malcom.

11. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good choice tommy. I think you'll be very pleased.

The 880 tempted me as well, but in the end the cost of dvd+r disks and more importantly the long list of horror stories I have heard from owners put me right off. Also at the time the multiregion version couldn't handle rce disks.

12. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks Guys.

The thing that finally swung it was the variable bitrate feature, sounded brilliant. And exactly the sort of feature I'd find useful for my needs.

Anyway, I'm about to buy some discs. DVD-Rs, and just wondered what the most reliable brand were to buy in bulk? I want cheap but good, that will have no probs playing in other machines.

Cheers.

13. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi TommyVecetti. I would advise you wait until you have your machine before buying any discs in bulk. All machines are not equal and what works for one may not for the other. I get my discs from www.blankdiscshop.co.uk

Very good company to deal with as if a particular batch or part batch don't work as desired they will refund or re-supply without any problems.

Over the months I have mainly used FWS discs but recently they seem to be a clone of the Traxdata discs. Traxdata seems very popular with most although I have had problems with them on my E20. The E30 on the other hand they perform mostly reliably. I think you can ignor my negative comment about Traxdata as I seem to be in a minority to say the least with regard to having problems with them.

There is always a certain amount of gamble when using "cheap madia" so don't expect a 100% no coaster situation.

If you only have one shot at making a recording it may be adviseable to pay that bit extra for a higher quality brand.

If you are archiving from tape or other sources then cheap media is ok to use.

Verbatim are good brand. Never had one fail yet. They are now about £1-89 each.

I have had no luck with Datasafe. But well worth a try on your machine. Eproformance is another brand about 69p in which I have had mixed results. I have had some of them stick on playback.

As for playing back on other machines!! If the disc "whatever make" has recorded ok then playback on other DVD units should be fine in my experience. Most of my discs cheap or otherwise will even playback on my very picky 3 year old computer drive that sometimes doesn't even like commercial DVDs.:)

14. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is dodgy ground. Everyone will probably make diff suggestions.

First of all the best places are:

SVP

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/FOR_DVD_R_RW_CLICK_HERE.html

lYNX

http://www.lynxdv.com/estore/index2.php

BIGPOCKETS AND DIGITAL PROMOTIONS

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk

http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk

If you want to spend around a pound a disk I recommend Datawrite White Top x2. Ive used loads of these with great success. I think Bigpockets still has some. Also Lynx's own x2 brand are meant to be excellent (all they have at the moment I think anyway).

The key to a good dvd-r is the dyd and lead in. The best disks seem to be ones with a ritek dyd which gives the disks a very dark purple underside. This is of course excluding the more expensive disks by verbatum and panasonic which should all be good.

If you want even cheeper media I reccomend the datawrite yellow tops from svp. They are around £30 for 50 disks. Now some people dont like them and might say otherwise but they work for me. Rather than buying 50 however, I would recommend buying the sample pack of disks from svp and seeing what ones work. The pack contains a sample yellow top as well as a few other brands. Its a good cheap way of finding which disks work for you and your needs.

Again, hope this helps
    (the whole media thing can be a nightmare)

Lastly, have a look at my other post here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66934

This definately works (dont ask me why) and has stopped me producing coasters all together now-Its saved me a lot of time and money with media!

15. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Tommy, can I ask, how much and where from? :)

16. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Ok so it wasn't that much of a bargain price, but still cheaper than the shops. Techtronics still have loads left.:cool:

Thanks for the info on the blank media guys. I'll look into it.

17. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Got my E30 today! Had a play around with the recording modes and was blown away by the quality, its a great bit of kit. Just thought I'd post my thoughts, since I just got it. Time to start recording!!:smashin:

18. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad you like it Tommy!

19. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi TommyVecetti. Glad you are pleased. Happy DVD--ing.:smashin:

Just tried my first £2-98 mirror RAM disc from SVP. I first tried to formatt it in my E20 but the E20 would not respond and show the format menu after the disc was inserted. Tried several times without luck. However, I then put it in the E30 and no problem as the menu appeared and I was able to format it. It now works as per normal in both machines. After reading the E20 manual it mentions "When in stop mode" Format the disc so maybe I should have pressed the stop button first on the E20 to get a response from the menu buttons???

I have orderd another 5 so I will see what happens when they arrive. As long as one of the machines formats them then no worries!.

Off topic. I have to say how pleased I was with the turn around of my order to SVP. Compliments to both them and the Royal Mail.
    I posted the order on Sunday afternoon and my order arrived 8 O-clock wednesday morning. Just two working days. Fantastic! :clap:

20. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Update to myself:laugh: Another quick delivery and have just recieved another 5 RAM discs. Formatted them all on the E20. The reason I failed to format the first one on the E20 is because I failed to press enter after inserting the disc. as a result the machine would not respond to other commands until first pressing enter. The E30 didn't require this. Silly me all's well that ends well.

21. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I tried out some cheaper white datasafe discs (as well as the faultless Verbatim:smashin: ) and found that they didn't like recordings longer than 2 hours or so in the SP mode, anybody else found that some discs don't like longer record times?

I'm still enjoying my E30 btw:D

22. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To be honest I don't think I've made a recording longer than 2 hours on dvd-r.

Will keep an eye out when I do though!

23. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any idea where the DR82 can be bought from?

24. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    First of all its actually a panasonic DVD RA82, sorry about the typo! Thats probably why you couldn't find it. These guys sell it:

www.multiregionmagic.co.uk

£199 for a standard one
    £249 for a multiregion/macro and cgms disabled one :)

I bought my E30 from them and they are top notch.

Bear in mind though that I was advised that it doesn't play edited ram disks smoothly!

25. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another problem with this method of editing is that if say you recorded say 4 episodes of a TV series on RAM edited out the ads then recorded onto -R. It would only record the 4 episodes as a single recording.

Even if you recorded one episode at a time you would have to be there to stop the recording as you can only direct stop 30 minute intervals

If you have to be there whilst recording the -R you may as well edit out the ads

26. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  27. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    ??? SP mode is max of 2 hours on a dvd. Its not surprising that they don't like longer!
    If you want longer you have to pick another lower quality mode or the FR mode to exactly fill the media.

28. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    That's what I meant, using SP mode as FR. Usually no more than 2hr 30.

I also found out today that cheaper discs that seem fine on the E30 can be glitchy when played back on other compatible DVD-R players.

I'm thinking of only using the expensive ones from now on.

29. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "I also found out today that cheaper discs that seem fine on the E30 can be glitchy when played back on other compatible DVD-R players."

I get a simlilar thing now and again with ritek disks which are meant to be some of the most compatible. Its a player issue more than a media issue. Yellow tops play glitch free in my cheepie acoustic solutions dvd player, but the riteks are a bit iffy. And its vice versa with my limit dvd player.

30. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    multiregion have the RA82

the copy protection disabled one would allow backup of DVDs

however, does has anyone found a way around the problem that when recording the edited -RAM onto -R it will be done as a single recording

the direct record only seems to go up in 30 minute intervals