Newbie question about Hard drives & PS5 ecosystem

Bidge

Standard Member
I'm new to the Sony ecosystem, last time my household owned (or played) a Sony console was the original release Greystation. So I'm working on a zero knowledge basis as to how Sony consoles currently do things.

I was looking to expand the hard drive capacity of the PS5 we managed to get a hold of, and have just discovered that external storage is only for PS4 games (very weird decision by Sony for mind).

Based on this info, I have some questions that I can't find the answer for.

I don't intend to subscribe to either PS Plus or Now, so this may or may not have a knock on effect on what I am looking to find out.

PS5 games: When you run out of internal storage, I guess you will need to delete the game from the PS5 to create space for other games, but will this then kill off any save data, meaning if I re-installed a PS5 game I would then need to start from scratch? What is the actual solution as to when you fill up your internal drive when it comes to PS5 games?

As long as its a USB 3 drive, I see you use both SSD and HDD drives within 250gb to 8TB. Is the only difference in game terms just the loads times?

NatTheGooner

If you put your PS4 games on an external USB 3 drive instead of the internal storage you’ll still get great load times. You won’t lose your save data if you delete a PS5 game to free up space it gets saved to the cloud and you can also save to a USB device too.
I bought an empty USB drive caddy for about £20 on Amazon that auto sleeps and stuck an old 1TB drive in there - it works superbly. I compared running a PS4 game on the internal storage and then moved it to the external and it seemed just as fast to me.

Bidge

Standard Member
If you put your PS4 games on an external USB 3 drive instead of the internal storage you’ll still get great load times. You won’t lose your save data if you delete a PS5 game to free up space it gets saved to the cloud and you can also save to a USB device too.
I bought an empty USB drive caddy for about £20 on Amazon that auto sleeps and stuck an old 1TB drive in there - it works superbly. I compared running a PS4 game on the internal storage and then moved it to the external and it seemed just as fast to me.
Thank you for the speedy answers bud.

Really pleased to hear that the save data won't be lost. Was expecting to hear the worst, so that is terrific news.

Good to hear that the difference in load times for PS4 games with an external HDD and the internal SSD is minimal as well.

sjw

You won’t lose your save data if you delete a PS5 game to free up space it gets saved to the cloud and you can also save to a USB device too.
Need to ask a few questions myself soon too but the OP mentioned not subscribing to PS+ soooo...
Don't you need to pay to get cloud saves? and..
What can you save 'TO' USB? Hopefully it's changed but I didn't think you could save game saves to USB on PS5?

Separately, is it possible to move games from external storage to internal? I thought not - but it looks like there's maybe no reason to - looking at the minimal performance difference between games installed on extended storage and native PS4 storage.
EDIT: there may be a reason, simply so I don't need to have another HDD plugged in. So, if I have a game installed to the PS4 HDD, is it possible to transfer it to the PS5 HDD without re-downloading it all?

Last edited:

winka45

You need PS+ to be able to use the cloud storage.

You can transfer PS4 and PS5 games from HDD or SDD to internal.

You can play PS4 games from an extended storage device but not PS5 games, they have to be trnsfered back to internal storage to play them.

sjw

I just read, and was very surprised, that running games on an external HDD (not even an SSD) runs at least as well as having it on internal PS4 disc!. Nice.

Ultrasonic

Playstation Plus is needed for cloud saves but uninstalling a game doesn't delete the save on the local hard drive.

External HDDs will not be as fast as the internal SSD.

sjw

You won’t lose your save data if you delete a PS5 game to free up space it gets saved to the cloud and you can also save to a USB device too.
So I know you can only save to the cloud if you pay - but are you sure you can save to a USB (save games or actual games)? I know you can't play PS5 ganmes from the extended disc but I didn't thing you could move them there either.
Received the PS5 today and had a bit of a mare migrating from the PS4. Had to factory reset the PS5 about 5 times as it kept failing (had the PS4 and 5 directly connected with LAN cable). This was doing it after signing in as part of the initial setup - so was supposed to copy all users' data.
Ended up just logging in and doing the transfers individually.
What caused a delay later on was seeing locks on lots of games - and googling suggested restoring licenses etc. Turns out it was simply because they are games installed from Discs. Why can't it just show a Disc symbol (PS4 does doesn't it?)? I'm sure there are some disc games without the lock though, will check that later.
For some games it got straight on and downloaded huge update files from the internet for some reason - even though they were up to date and the PS4 was quite happy.
The GUI is going to take some getting used to too..

Ultrasonic

So I know you can only save to the cloud if you pay - but are you sure you can save to a USB (save games or actual games)? I know you can't play PS5 ganmes from the extended disc but I didn't thing you could move them there either.
You can't move PS5 games to an external drive.

As far as as save game files go these aren't very big so it doesn't particularly matter where they are I'd have thought?

sjw

Sorry, yeah, they were my thoughts too - the quote I was replying to was suggesting otherwise though.
As far as Save games go though, the size isn't really important - moreso the content. I'm still surprised there's no option to back them up to USB. We have two users on the main PS's but only one PS+ sub. This means one set of Game Saves is backed up to the cloud - the other is totally at risk of a hardware failure - but on PS4 it wasn't. I don't think it's reasonable to expect two users of the same console to have separate subs - especially when a single sub allows the other users to play online and play the downloaded games.

Ultrasonic

I'm still surprised there's no option to back them up to USB.
I agree. I think it's odd and feels like an oversight that could be changed by a software update to me. Just possibly Sony are trying to push more people to pay for PSPlus by not doing so but I doubt this to be honest.

NatTheGooner

Need to ask a few questions myself soon too but the OP mentioned not subscribing to PS+ soooo...
Don't you need to pay to get cloud saves? and..
What can you save 'TO' USB? Hopefully it's changed but I didn't think you could save game saves to USB on PS5?

Separately, is it possible to move games from external storage to internal? I thought not - but it looks like there's maybe no reason to - looking at the minimal performance difference between games installed on extended storage and native PS4 storage.
EDIT: there may be a reason, simply so I don't need to have another HDD plugged in. So, if I have a game installed to the PS4 HDD, is it possible to transfer it to the PS5 HDD without re-downloading it all?
I meant you can save your “saves” to a usb device not PS5 games themselves.

NatTheGooner

Yes, but I didn't think you could do that even?
I did it with my PS4 saves as I didn’t want to lose my RDR2 100% data when I moved to PS5, I used an old 1gb stick and it worked fine. I sold my PS4 before I got the PS5 so I couldn’t connect them and didn’t want to just trust the cloud save.

Bidge

Standard Member
You need PS+ to be able to use the cloud storage.

You can transfer PS4 and PS5 games from HDD or SDD to internal.

You can play PS4 games from an extended storage device but not PS5 games, they have to be trnsfered back to internal storage to play them.
Thank you, I hadn't realised that you need PS+ from the way the other person replied to my original questions. I had interpreted their answer to mean that so long as you owned the PS5 and had a PS account it saved to an unpaid storage service. So your answer is vital info for me to know.

Bidge

Standard Member
Playstation Plus is needed for cloud saves but uninstalling a game doesn't delete the save on the local hard drive.

External HDDs will not be as fast as the internal SSD.
Ah fantastic, thank you. Again this is what I needed to know regards what happens to the save data when the times comes that you need to delete a game from the internal drive to make space.. Cheers.

Ultrasonic

@Bidge I don't think anyone has mentioned that you should seriously consider paying for Playstation Plus given you are new to Playstation. I say this as doing so will give you access to the 20 PS4 games that make up the Playstation Plus Collection. This is a bit of a bargain really. Also note you can regularly get Playstation Plus for less than it's £50 annual UK price. I paid about £36 via CDKeys yesterday, and you can find it for about £40 more easily.

Bidge

Standard Member
@Bidge I don't think anyone has mentioned that you should seriously consider paying for Playstation Plus given you are new to Playstation. I say this as doing so will give you access to the 20 PS4 games that make up the Playstation Plus Collection. This is a bit of a bargain really. Also note you can regularly get Playstation Plus for less than it's £50 annual UK price. I paid about £36 via CDKeys yesterday, and you can find it for about £40 more easily.

Thank you for the advice. Of the two PS Now and Plus, + is the one that sort of has an interest to me. But have (maybe had) no plans on going down that route as so new to the console.

That's a very good saving. I honestly never thought that there may be cheaper methods of accessing it. I just assumed (incorrectly as I now know) that the price was the price, because it was a Sony service. Just like the price is the price for say, Netflix.

Also thank you for the heads up on CDKeys, never heard of them. The only thing CD keys has ever meant to me, was the code to unlock a pice of software, never heard of the site, until now.

Bidge

Standard Member
OK I caved and bought PS +. I now have another newbie question.

I got Concrete Genie, Control & the car game as the monthly games, but there are a whole bunch of games within the PS Plus Collection that have "included" in yellow under them. Are these also part of the subscription service, in that I get free access to them as well, so long as I keep the service running?

Don't want to accidentally buy more games by clicking on some of them, but there are several in that list that really interest me.

sjw

You shouldn't really 'accidentally' buy any - they all clearly show a price before purchase.
Yes, the other games are 'classic' PS4 games exclusive to PS5 owners while you subscribe to PS+.

Ultrasonic

I got Concrete Genie, Control & the car game as the monthly games, but there are a whole bunch of games within the PS Plus Collection that have "included" in yellow under them. Are these also part of the subscription service, in that I get free access to them as well, so long as I keep the service running?

Yes. These are the ones I was suggesting for you, which are generally much better regarded games than the three you've downloaded.

Don't want to accidentally buy more games by clicking on some of them, but there are several in that list that really interest me.

Ultrasonic

I posted the above before I'd finished writing by mistake...

I was going to add that you'll see the price for any purchase like @sjw said, so you should be fine. Note you can add a game to your library to download any time in the future you want rather than having to do this straight away. I've done this with all 20 games but have only downloaded one so far.

Bidge

Standard Member
You shouldn't really 'accidentally' buy any - they all clearly show a price before purchase.
Yes, the other games are 'classic' PS4 games exclusive to PS5 owners while you subscribe to PS+.
Sweet. In that case it really is a good deal. Cheers for the info.

Bidge

Standard Member
I posted the above before I'd finished writing by mistake...

I was going to add that you'll see the price for any purchase like @sjw said, so you should be fine. Note you can add a game to your library to download any time in the future you want rather than having to do this straight away. I've done this with all 20 games but have only downloaded one so far.
Nice one. That's also of use to know. I saw when it came to adding adding Concrete Genie that initially it added to Library, then you could download. So I thought that this may be the case, but wasn't 100% sure, so having it confirmed really helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

WarnerMedia and Discovery to merge under AT&T deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals