Newbie question about DTS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by giliop, Aug 5, 2001.

1. giliop

giliop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying a DVD player to replace the Creative DVD i have used for the past 4 years.

I am thinking of the Philips DVD 951 which has DTS decoder built in.

What i don't know is, will i need to buy a DTS capable amplifier, or a simple Dolby Digital will do? (i am thinking of the Sony HT-K215)

Any other suggestions about another player or amplifier are welcomed.

Thanx in advance.

John

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,417
    Hi mate welcome to the forums

I think if you check around you will find the Philips player you mention is actually discontinued, So you should be able to get one for a good price.

As for the question if its got a DTS decoder it will also have a Dolby Digital decoder built in so you would only need a Prologic amplifier but make sure its got a 6 channel input for the decoder outputs on the dvd player.

Any good dealer would be able to advise you on leads to connect the two together.

Cheers Carlos

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think this is not a question anymore: even the most basic (budget end) amps do have DD and DTS, so it will not matter if your player decodes it or not as it can stream the signal to the amp.

Internal decoders are IMHO only of interest if you have an amp with 5.1 input already but no DD/DTS decoding.