• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Newbie query - your suggestions for HDD Camcorder

apkfjk

Standard Member
HI All.

I wish to purchase a HDD Camcorder (I think, unless your comments sway me) to take on holiday and also to replace my Canon G5 camera.

Do you guys have any comments on the following models:

JVC Everio GZ-MG505EK
or
Sony DCR SR90 Hard Disc Drive camcorder

I have always in the past gone JVC, but the Sony seems to have a better Megapixel rate.

Primarily going to be used to film, but I will also want to take the odd shots

Should I go HDD or should I look at the Hi-Def option(what would that give me?)

Thanks in advance for any comments

twoodley

Established Member
Doing a quick Google I see that the SR90 can be purchased online for £680 (from Comet).
The High Def HD3 can be purchased for £730 (also from Comet).
I think you will find the PQ well worth the extra £50, although you will have to use Tape and not Hard Drive.

senu

Distinguished Member
As good as the Sony HC3 is ( and it is good) .It will give you stunning HD and very good SD footage
It will not replace the Canon G5.

No camcorder will replace a well sorted Digital still and although the G5 is getting on a bit, many of the recent " more megapixel" examples may have less to offer for PQ

Although you may not need tape with HDD, and have the usual download to PC , encode to mpeg challenges with tape based camcorders,
The suggestion of a Hi Def camcorder for the money over an HDD is a good one

All the best:thumbsup:

S

Se7en1977

I bought a JVC MG21 HDD Camcorder last week from Comet.
It was rubbish and went back the next day, well actually 2 days later cause Comet are useless......

I would avoid them at the moment, the quality got even worse when I tried the PC Editing.....

rickyt

Established Member
Are you suggesting .........Comet are useless because you made a bad choice in purchasing a camcorder ?? . I was in comet on Sunday looking at a Bosch Fridge Freezer ........they had other makes and I wasn't forced to make a purchase.

S

Se7en1977

rickyt said:
Are you suggesting .........Comet are useless because you made a bad choice in purchasing a camcorder ?? . I was in comet on Sunday looking at a Bosch Fridge Freezer ........they had other makes and I wasn't forced to make a purchase.

No, i'm saying Comet are useless because of the service I received after my purchase, I wasn't forced into buying anything.

hillster

Established Member
I'm really tempted with the JVC Everio GX-MG77 but have heard a few bad things on the picture quality. Was thinking of ordering from Amazon and returning it if the PQ is poor, not too sure if I'd get away with this though. Perhaps the distance selling regulations would cover me?

Anyone used the MG77 or any other Everio's for that matter?

This'll be my firast camcorder so I've nothing to compare against. I'd like a camcorder as our first baby is due in a month...

S

Se7en1977

hillster said:
I'm really tempted with the JVC Everio GX-MG77 but have heard a few bad things on the picture quality. Was thinking of ordering from Amazon and returning it if the PQ is poor, not too sure if I'd get away with this though. Perhaps the distance selling regulations would cover me?

Anyone used the MG77 or any other Everio's for that matter?

This'll be my firast camcorder so I've nothing to compare against. I'd like a camcorder as our first baby is due in a month...

I've had the Everio MG21, which I think is the same aside from the Hard Drive size and I was very disappointed.

In low light it didn't even come close to my parents Sony MiniDV, which was about half the price.

Aside from that I loved it though, I liked the size, the interface and the ease which I could connect it to the PC, but for the price it wasn't worth it.

apkfjk

Standard Member
Still looking at the comments guys.

I have since purchased two mags: Digital Video & What Camcorder, but have not seen any reviews on the two cams I mentioned, although DV did have a mention on the JVC MG505 'it has 3ccd and wants the Everios to be taken seriously as a replacement for Mini DV' although reading reviews of lower models, problems with onboard button controls being fiddly and small, and me having big hands......don't know if that will be a problem.

Still looking and undecided and the holiday is looming............. Looks like I may have to take the G5 if I don't get anything, but I really hate the shutter lag when taking photos, which normally means I have to try and anticipate earlier when to press the button to take an action shot, otherwise I miss it. Can I program the G% to have a quicker shutter speed?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom