1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Q: Front speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by 790, May 2, 2003.

1. 790

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I've got my new TV (50WT29B). It comes with a built-in digital 5.1 system, rear speakers, and a left/right/woofer in the TV.

I want to get some front speakers and let the TV act as a dedicated center.

The TV says in regards to the built-in amp: "48W RMS (68W RMS with external front speakers)".

So what on earth does this mean in terms of what I need to buy? Do I need to look for 2x10W speakers, or what? Also, any recommendations < about £100?

Thanks!
    A confused newbie who couldn't find any info.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Does the TV have a speaker output or pre-outs only?
    In the latter case you would need a power amp or stereo amp to drive the fronts.

Personally I wouldn't trust TV speakers and their built-in amplifiers much, usually they are very weak.

3. 790

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's got a built in 5.1 system with speaker outputs, not just preamp, so I might as well use it, or at least start with it. I hear they aren't too bad on this model.

The manual says: Main = 14W + 14W Centre = 20W Surround = 10W + 10W. I guess main is the same as External Front Terminal.

So in English, what front speakers should I be looking for?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    14w is a very small power out put most av amps are around 60-120 I would look at Richersounds and a few other places did it come with any speaker? if so check their specs and look for similar, see obvious' thred in this forum for some more ideas.

5. 790

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah that's what threw me off, it seemed small. But the back speakers are 14W and sound good enough, so I guess the front speakers will act more like satellites, and the real oomphf is provided by the TV's center speakers. That sound reasonable?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yeah it it should find some suitable speakers might be a bit of a challenge, so good luck