1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Q - DVD & what cables to buy

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by asbrins, Dec 21, 2004.

1. asbrins

asbrins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just taken delivery of a Tosh 32zp48 + 340e DVD. Never had a DVD before and was wondering if I have this correct.

Q. Should I buy component leads for the video output and then use an optical digital cable for the audio?

Looking for the best picture/sound - don't have a separate cinema system, using the 4 speakers supplied with the TV.

Thanks,

Andy.

2. Spanpody

Spanpody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba 340e has a coaxial digital output, not optical.

Component leads will give you better picture quality over scart and you will also be able to make use of the progressive scan capability of both DVD/TV.

3. asbrins

asbrins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    spanpody - thanks for the reply. I have checked and my player does have an optical connection as well as a coaxial.

Will go with that and the components leads and see what happens.

4. acabbie

acabbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, i'm a newbie also so i hope you don't mind me hi-jacking your thread a little as the info i need is very similar to yours and didn't really want to upset anyone by starting yet another similar thread.

I have a 36zp48 arriving tomorrow along with the sd340e DVD player, also in my setup at home will be a sky+ box and a JVC video.

I need to go and get some cables to go with the setup at some point today as i really want to get the most of it over Christmas (kinda hoping to just stay in and chill for the break ;) )

This is how i assume i can connect my setup but would appreciate any input where perhaps i can improve on it.

DVD to TV:- component cables between the 2 and coaxial digital for audio (is there any difference in quality of sound between co-ax and optical ?)

Sky+ to TV:- s-video and stereo phonos from sky box into RGB scart on telly (i'm not sure if all 3 scarts are RGB or only 1) i assume its best to take sky+ into an RGB connection if possible, optical digital for audio between the 2.

JVC video to TV:- with my video i have both scart and s-video outputs so i could do either. Would there be any difference in picture quality if i used an s-video to scart lead or just a plain scart lead ?

the tv doesn't seem to have a s-video terminal at the rear, only one at the front ( which i shall use for my video camera from time to time).

one final thing, is it possible to set the SKY button on the remote control to switch to the EXT channel rather than going to a "normal" channel ?

Many thanks.

5. asbrins

asbrins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    acabbie

Went out and bought the component cable and an optical one. Connected the 340e to the TV and pressed play - oh! A nice pink picture! Didn't go for the £60 a throw jobbies, went to Currys and got JVC ones which cost me £22 in total.

Took me a while to figure out that I had to go to setup in the dvd menu and change the video output to YUG (or something like that). Anyway after I did that it worked fine. Also, make sure your tv av setting are set for ext4 and the surround sound is also set - should come up digital 3/2.

What a picture! and the sound is great too!

I have my video scart into my digibox and from there into the ext1 if that is any help to you.

Andy.

6. acabbie

acabbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how is the sky box connected to your TV ?

would there be any degredation in picture quality by taking your vcr through the skybox or is it better to run it directly into the tv ?

One other thing, whats the difference between a 21pin scart and a normal scart ? (thats if there is a difference)

Many thanks once again

steve

7. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Steve.

Re your connection problems. I will endeavour to answer, I'm sure others will contribute if I hace either gone wrong, or can offer better advice.

As stated the DVD is connected via Component leads and Optical cable.

Does the Sky box not have a scart socket? (Sorry if this seems to be a silly question, but I don't have Sky). If so, I would recommend connecting by Scart to Scart Socket 1 on the TV (which is RGB). If it doesn't have a Scart socket, then you will have to do as you suggest. Also, if you are taking the audio in via the SCART lead, you don't strictly need to also connect the audio lead, as I understand Sky only transmit in Stereo, and the Dolby Digital in the TV will convert the sound irrespective of the method of input.

For the video, connect Scart to Scart using Socket No. 2 on the TV, (which is also RGB). Whilst having never tried it, I understand SCART is a better quality feed than s-video.

In terms of getting the system to recognise when you have turned on your Sky box, I don't think it's possible unless you use a Scart-Scart connection. (One of the leads recognises you have turned the box on, and sends a messgae to the TV.) Your video once connected will also automatically change the channel for the same reason, but the DVD player will not.

Hope this helps.

8. acabbie

acabbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks it does indeed help...

The sky+ box does actually broadcast some progs (films mostly) in dolby digital 5.1 hence why i thought about using the optical lead as i'm not sure scart carries the full 5.1 information (i may be wrong as i'm quite new to all this). If i do use a scart but find i need to use the optical i assume its simply a matter of changing my settings in the TV for where my audio feed is coming from.

Many thanks once again, hopefully i can get to a comet store and grab some good cables tomorrow... ;)

*edit* have just read in a magazine that sky+ only runs Dolby digital through the optical out, not the scart......so i guess i should run a scart for the picture (as you've stated RGB is better quality than s-video) and a optical out for the audio.

thanks yet again