Newbie Q: Arcam AVR400 & HDMI arc connection

zaiusmd

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just joined the forum and looking for some guidance on set-up. I recently picked up a used Arcam AVR400 to pair with my Samsung Frame TV via HDMI arc. When I connect, I can see the AVR connected via the connections screen in the Frame, and the screen will show the Arcam set-up menu, but I can't get sound out and have the Arcam picked up by the Frame as the default sound output (which it did with a Sonos Amp). Sounds works via the Arcam as I tested AM/FM and my speakers, and I assume the HDMI connection is working as I can see the Arcam set-up menu on the Frame. Any ideas on other places to check/configure/troubleshoot?

Thanks!

If the AV receivers's menus and onscreen hraphics are visible and accessible on the TV then this indicateds that the AV receiver isn't set to and using ARC as a siurce. When ARC is in use, the AV receiver cannot convey video to the TV. ARC repurposes the HDMI connection so that only audio is set from the TV to the AV receiver via the HDMI connection.

If ARC and HDMI Control are both engaged onboard the AV receiver and the TV then you'd get audio output from the TV.

SONOA has nothing to do with ARC. ARC has to be turned on and you'd also need to turn on HDMI CEC )Control_ onboard both the AV receiver and the TV to be able to use it. You'd also need to select ARC on the TV as being the means by which it portrays audio accessed via that TV.

Upvote 0
Thank you! Totally makes sense. It looks like CEC is enabled on the TV, but I don't see where I can make that selection for the AVR400.

Upvote 0
Note that not only HDMI CEC (Anynet+ on SAmsung TV's) would need to be turned on. You'd also need to ensure ARC itself is turned on as well. You'll also find additional configurations deterning what is output by ARC onboard the TV. There should be a digital audio output setting that should be set to an option that BITSTREAMS the audio and that should not be set to PCM. If you set this to PCM, the TV will downmix all myltichannel audio to just 2 channel PCM.

Note that your Arcam AVR is only ARC enabled and not eARC enabled. You should configure the TV to use ARC and not eARC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom