1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie purchase - Canon A70/S45/S50

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by martin2themount, Jul 13, 2003.

1. martin2themount

martin2themount
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated. This will be my first digital camera. I will be using it for normal holiday stuff (2 weeks away with the family - 40 or 50 pics), pics for web sites which will be edited in Photoshop and no doubt occasional high res stuff.

I've read all the threads about the A70 and am impressed, but also note comments about the S range. I've also noted with interest comments about typical memory requirements and microdrives.

So, which 'package'?

I could go for the A70 (3,14Mb)+256Mb for £320 (or have 512Mb for an extra £25)
    or the S45 (4Mp) + 256Mb for £354
    or the S50 (5Mpb) + 256Mb for £435

It seems that it may well be worth paying a little more for the S45, to have higher res & a more powerful digital zoom. But it uses proprietary batteries, whereas standard AA's seem a better option.

Thanks in advance.

2. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, the A70 cost £230ish on the net, and a 256mb CF card would cost MAX £50. Seems you are being over charged. There was a offer in digitaldepot.co.uk A70 for £250+free 256mb CF. That is a good price for the S45 and the S50.

so if you take under consideration that the accual price for A70 is £250ish, the S45 is quite a big leap in price. And IMO it isnt worth the extra money. The A70 is very capable of delivering high res images. But the S45 will always deliver a high detail picture when the size is over 7x5.
    The S50 will be alot better than the A70, but it is nearly double the price.... If I was buying a digicam in this price range I would definaly get the G3 or G5

have alook at the Minolta S414. Also a great 4mp camera.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    The A70 S45 and S50 all share the same chip and therefore have the same functions and same limitations.

You are basically paing £80 per extra megapixel.

Also note A70 takes extra lenses, S range can't.

S range has different look and feel, but you have to play to see what you prefer. S range has a rocker switch which takes getting used to.

4. martin2themount

martin2themount
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments so far. I still have to take a look at an of these cameras. Today I met an estate agent (!!!) who was singing the praises of his Kyocera S5. I was impressed how small it was an also that it pumped out 5Mp. The deal he got was something like £350 including case and 128Mb card.

Sounds like I need to find out more about this camera. In the past comments have been made about their battery life, but 200 shots on a charge didn't sound too bad.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

5. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I bought the S45 several months ago and highly recommend it.
    It produces great results and is fully manual... as well as being point and press if you want...
    My 3 1/4 year old can even use it now.... but only with the strictest supervision.... as can the Mrs.....!!!

6. coulcher

coulcher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the S50 and very happy. Typical Canon product, like their EOS series they are very intuitive to use. Did have the S30 but passed it on and upgraded to S50, excellent too.

Recommend the extra mega pixels as you can take shots on the optical zoom and then crop rather than using the digital zoom which loses quality in comparison.

7. Vaughn

Vaughn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with coulcher... the extra MP is great when you can't get any closer to the subject - just take the picture anyway and crop off the surrounding area when you get home. You may still end up with the subject in 3 or 4MP!

Very happy with my S50 (my first digi-camera) - the reason I went with the S-series rather than one of the others is it's still 'compact' enough to slip in your trouser pocket.

Vaughn

8. martin2themount

martin2themount
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all advice so far.

Since I first posted this I have widened my search and seem to have arrived at the following 'shortlist':-
    1. Canon A70 - has to be on it, even though they are hard to get.
    2. Canon S50 and also the S45 - nice and compact but still great features and great results.
    3. olympus C4000Z - everything I've reas has been positive. 4Mp, great lens and also quite a bit cheaper than above.

I also started looking at Canon G3, G5, Olympus C5050Z, but by then I was well into 'Spec creep'.

Realistically my budget is £450 and I would lile that to include rechargeable batteries (if AA) and also at least 128Mb memory.

Couple of questions - the S50 has Raw - is this worth having given that you can do so much with a digital image in Photoshop?

Secondly, how do I go about buying. Will Jessops price match with someone like Pixmania or another Internet retailer?

I ahould also incoude the Minolta S414 but it seems hard to come by. Visited all 3 Jessops in Watford recently, many makes were in limited supply and the 'impartial' advice wasn't very good.

9. martin2themount

martin2themount
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the S50 today. Went into Jessops armed with price match info and prepared to buy the Olympus 4000Z, but by the time I had added thecost of rechargeable batteries, because it only comes with standard AA's, I thought the S50 was worth the extra 70 quid.

Basically I thought that the S50 was a newer better specd camera so worth the extra.

Thanks for all the advice.

10. Vaughn

Vaughn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure you'll be very happy with it mate.

As far as RAW mode is concerned, I've used it a couple of times to see what I could do with it, but under normal circumstances I wouldn't think it's worth the huge amounts of memory it gobbles up. Unless you're going to be into seriously high spec prints where you want to be in control of exactly what's going on in every pixel that is!

If I'd come back to this thread in time before you bought yours, I would have recommended taking a look at amazon.co.uk - I ordered mine from there at an excellent price, and it was delivered next day. And I see the price is even lower now at £397 whereas jessops.com list it at £498... I hope Jessops price matched for you!!

11. martin2themount

martin2themount
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best deal I could find was cameras2u.com at £416.95 including 128Mb card (£386.95 standard). They had it in stock as well so Jessops price matched no questions. Had to pay extra 15 squid for case. Total £432.

Been playing with it today. Bloody hell of a first digital camera. I'm going to have to give the user manual to my 13yr old son so he can digest and explain it to me!!

12. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Great choice of camera,
    I bought an S45 4 months ago and have been most happy with it.
    The pictures it takes are excellent I use Large Resolution and Fine detail and print to an A3 laser printer with fantastic results. Everyone who has seen my pictures have been very impressed.
    I also own a Minolta Dynax 7000i SLR (I think thats the model) which also takes great pictures but it is too bulky. A camera that sits at home in a draw takes very few pictures. Where as I take the S45 out all the time. It fits great in the GF's hand bag :D
    I took it to greece and filled up a 128MB and 32 MB card. which was about 150 pictures.
    It's nice to see straignt away that the picture turned out fine and no more need to be taken OR delete that one and bump the exposure up a notch. Then only print the ones that you like :smashin:

The battery worried me a bit but it is really light, charges in about an hour and lasts a long time easily enough for a days shooting while on holiday. Plus they are only about 22 quid anyway not your 70 quid sony (what I had to pay for a MD battery 5 years ago :mad:)

Finally the compact flash memory cards are great. I almost bought a Sony Cybershot untill I saw the price of memory sticks (about twice that of CF cards)

-Neil

13. martin2themount

martin2themount
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just returned from 2 weeks in Costa Blanca armed with the new S50 plus a 128Mb CF and 32MB CF cards.

No problems with the camera, very easy to use. Caught short a few times with the battery as there is no indication of power left, but it is very quick to charge.

Being a newbie all of my shots were at 'full strength' and I generally think that I would always prefer to do this rather than try and decide the resolution required at the ime of the shot. The result was that I got 58 pics on the 128Mb card and 14 on the 32Mb card. So now I know I need more memory and will probably get a Viking 256Mb or 512Mb from Amazon.

It was great to be able to plug the camera into the tv and review the shots immediately.

My cousin had a new Minlta Dimage XT, which is incredibly small for a 3MP camera. This caused him to drop it once when he forgot it was on his lap when he stood up! Otherwise, looks like another great camera if you want ultimate compactness. Having said that, the S50 is very small fits neatly in the hand and I'm glad I went for such a high spec camera. Goodbye 35mm.