• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Newbie projector Sky XBox HDMI question

IKM

Standard Member
Hi there as a new member with very limited technical knowledge can I ask the following -
I am about to embark on setting up a home cinema system using a ceiling mounted projector (yet to decide which one). Day to day use will be via a 32" lcd tv with the projector for DVD's/films and the kids XBox 360. Having carried out a bit of research on the forum I thought that I would use a 5x2 HDMI switching box to switch between my standard Sky box (no apparent HDMI connection), the XBox (HDMI compatible I think) and the DVD (HDMI ready) and between the projector and lcd tv. I am at the stage of running the cables for the projector which are being hidden behind plaster coving and therefore need a steer on what cables I should use. Obviously there will be a standard power cable and I get the feeling that HDMI cable is the preferred choice.
My questions are these -

1) I think the XBox 360 and DVD should work with the HDMI switching box and cable but what about the standard Sky box?
2) Will running the power lead and HDNI cable together behing the coving cause interference problems and if so is there a way of reducing these when they are run together?
3) Does this basic set up seem feasible?

Any help appreciated. Cheers

MarkP80

Hi there,

I am at the stage of running the cables for the projector which are being hidden behind plaster coving and therefore need a steer on what cables I should use
- when it comes to projector cabling, I would be very tempted to put in a cable for every one of the projector's connections. At the least I would expect this to be -
1) HDMI
2) component
3) S-video (I needed this for the menus from my amp, so it depends on your amp
4) scart, if your projector accepts it (a lot of Panasonics do)

Thinking about it, what amp do you intend to use - if it's a modern cinema amp, all your inputs will go into it, rather than the displays, so have a think about that.

XBox (HDMI compatible I think)
- careful, only the very latest ones have an HDMI connector, most are component

I thought that I would use a 5x2 HDMI switching box to switch between my standard Sky box (no apparent HDMI connection),
- If it doesn't have an HDMI connection, then I can't see how you would use an HDMI switch box for it. I suspect it will be a scart output, which you may be able to split into component to feed to a projector. If your XBox is component too, then you need to link these into a switch, with switchable outputs to your two displays. This will then allow you to select between inputs on either of your displays, with one set of sources on HDMI, the other on analogue (component/RGB).

Will running the power lead and HDNI cable together behing the coving cause interference problems and if so is there a way of reducing these when they are run together?
- it can do, but not always. Just make sure that all the a/v cables you use are specified as properly screened, and try not to use cheap unbranded ones. Don't wrap them together, try to get a bit of spacing if you can, maybe clip the power cable to the wall as far from the others as possible.

using a ceiling mounted projector (yet to decide which one).
- do you at least have a short list, so that you can get an idea of what connections you might need?

You need to do a bit more research on the connections your own equipment has I think, particularly your Sky box, XBox and TV inputs, to get a clearer cable plan.
Hope that helps,
MarkP

fredd500

IKM,

You haven't mentioned an amp in your setup - I would assume you are planning on getting one if you don't already so I would think about this first.

I have an ageing Yamaha amp which has video upconversion in it. i.e. I could connect my Sky box via composite or S-Video and up convert the signal to Component. My amp doesn't have HDMI, but the newer Yamaha ones do and they will even upscale to full 1080p HD. Using up-conversion could lower the number of cables you need going to your PJ although I would be tempted to perhaps run a VGA for a PC and as mentioned previously, a trigger cable for a screen.

Currently I have a 42" plasma as my main display and most of my components going through my amp, but since I don't want to run my amp constantly, I also have my sky box connected directly to my TV (its a SkyHD box so has HDMI). Eastenders really doesn't need full 5.1 Dolby Digital! I only switch my amp on when watching something which I know has surround sound - i.e. DVD's, SkyHD content, Nintendo WII etc.

It might cost a bit, but the top end amps even have multiple outputs so you could run both your TV and PJ from that.

HTH

IKM

Standard Member
Oh Dear! looks like it isn't going to be as easy as I first thought. Your advice is appreciated, I will go back to reading up and researching the subject a bit more before committing myself to burying cables in the wall. Thanks

MarkP80

I will go back to reading up and researching the subject a bit more before committing myself to burying cables in the wall.
- When you've short listed some gear, come back to us and we'll help some more if we can.

Cheers,
MarkP

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom