Newbie projector question

P3rLuS

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I will start with statement that I never owned a Projector and I'm a complete newbie in that category. I'm Just away to knock down ceiling in my living room and thought It would be a good idea to fit a ceiling mounted projector screen and projector at the same time. I could possibly fit 138 inch screen. My room is 5m wall to wall so projecting distance probably around 4.5m and that is same distance I will be sitting from the projector screen.

Now my question is 138 inch not too big at that distance? And will I be able to buy a half decent 1080p projector to display that image from 4.5m (Could be a used one) for around £1k ?

Hello!

I will start with statement that I never owned a Projector and I'm a complete newbie in that category. I'm Just away to knock down ceiling in my living room and thought It would be a good idea to fit a ceiling mounted projector screen and projector at the same time. I could possibly fit 138 inch screen. My room is 5m wall to wall so projecting distance probably around 4.5m and that is same distance I will be sitting from the projector screen.

Now my question is 138 inch not too big at that distance? And will I be able to buy a half decent 1080p projector to display that image from 4.5m (Could be a used one) for around £1k ?

It should be known that projectors are dark room devices and don't mix well with ambient light. Additionally wall reflections will hurt the black level of any projector. So painting the walls in a dark shade will help.

Screen size should be chosen after you use it on the wall for a while.

General ratio is 10-12" for every foot/30.48cm in distance. So from 450cm the screen can be from 145 to 175".

Those are large screens.

What you need is some sort of Epson model, such as:
TW6700, TW7300, TW9300. The 9000 series has better blacks, but the 6000 is brighter.

1K is low end budget.

If you can get the newer 4K versions, TW9400 or TW7100.

Thank you all the information. So it looks like projector would have to be closer then 450cm to the screen ? As 138 inch is the biggest screen I would be able to fit.

Thank you all the information. So it looks like projector would have to be closer then 450cm to the screen ? As 138 inch is the biggest screen I would be able to fit.

The ratio is not for the projector and screen diagonal, it's for the viewing distance and screen diagonal.

Hi

The size of screen is really big, I know you want to go the biggest you can but you will need a very bright projector to light that up properly, especially with light walls. You could probably get a used Epson TW9300 for a bit more than that, which would definitely be bright enough, or a 7300 which is still bright. But as said above you will still need to think about repainting the walls, as your black levels won’t be that good otherwise. Projectors are quite fussy things!

Cheers

well if 138 is too big there is 2 other options... fit 120 inch one or forget all about it save up for decent short throw and fit a fixed screen instead of the tv in the future. But as far as I can see short throw projectors are good up to 120" and I like the idea 138" coming out from the ceiling :D and using my current OLED for day watching. I think I will order some cheap epson tw 650 use it on the wall before I rip the ceiling any thing and see If I like the experience.

well if 138 is too big there is 2 other options... fit 120 inch one or forget all about it save up for decent short throw and fit a fixed screen instead of the tv in the future. But as far as I can see short throw projectors are good up to 120" and I like the idea 138" coming out from the ceiling :D and using my current OLED for day watching. I think I will order some cheap epson tw 650 use it on the wall before I rip the ceiling any thing and see If I like the experience.

138" is not too big, it depends how far away the viewing position is.

Yep, 138” is not too big, your distance is too long. I watch 134” (well actually 10’ wide irrespective of height) but projector and seating is only 14’ away from the image. I still use an old JVC X3.

Do you mean projecting distance? I should get projector closer to the screen ?

Well so all my questions answered. I can get 138 inch screen and a bright projector. Although I'm surprised to hear 4.5 meters sitting distance is big. Any other brands/models apart from epson you can recommend ? I did manage to find a very cheap tw 650 locally that I will be picking up in few days. See If I get hooked before I start spending...

Well so all my questions answered. I can get 138 inch screen and a bright projector. Although I'm surprised to hear 4.5 meters sitting distance is big. Any other brands/models apart from epson you can recommend ? I did manage to find a very cheap tw 650 locally that I will be picking up in few days. See If I get hooked before I start spending...

Epsons are the brightest projectors in the home cinema market, generally speaking.

4.5m is not a lot, you just have to have a large enough screen. Since you're limited at 138" diagonal, 4.5m is kind of far away for the kind of setups most people have. But you should test which seating position is best for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom