1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie plz help: Second Hand 3801 or New SR6200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bigfatlad, May 2, 2002.

1. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Ive been lurking around here for a few months and think this is probably the best place to ask for advice.

For my first AV amp should i go with a second hand denon 3801 or a new marantz sr6200, i can get them both for about £380.

The only option i would like on the denon is DPL2 but i can live without that if the denon is the superior sounding amp for everything else.

Please can anyone aid me with thier oipinion.

best regards
    Dave

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

To be honest, you really need to demo them both and go with what you think sounds best.

Personally, I like Denons but PL2 is something certainly worth having, as you said the 3801 doesnt have it.

It might be worth you waiting to see if you can pick up a 3802 or the 2802 (not a lot in it soundwise).

I´m sure the Marantz fans will give you their thoughts as well!!

cheers

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    At that price the Denon is good value.

If you need EX or ES then get the Denon

4. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm....i wont be using the 3801's EX or ES feature.

my reason for wanting the denon is that it used to be an £800 amp! Surley this means it is built from better/more expensive components than the marantz6200, thus resulting in better sound quality?

if the denon 3801 powers speakers easier (more/better amp units) and music sounds better than i can live without the marantz and its DPL2.

will the higher end denon sound better than the cheaper marantz?

5. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Hi,i demd both the denon and a sr5200 and the marantz was better for sound quality IMO,just sounds more lively and real.

If you do go for the Marantz try Source Direct on DD/DTS material and you will be very impressed i promise you.

6. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx Ricky27, petrolhead, & Jase.

i listened to the marantz 5200 and the denon 3802. i dont if thats a fair comparison but they were both set up so it was easy. i bought the 3802!! hehehe (and not my friends 3801).

in the denons favour was the extra amplification (7x105 v 6x110) with very low levels of background hiss. (good for my high volume music listening - untill i find the money for a rotel poweramp) also, not so important but a factor non the less, there seems to be less problems reported on forums with the 3802 than the marantz models.

for the record, the 3802 is a better than my three and half year old sherwood stereo amp for music (£200new)

...now for a new cdplayer or dac.