1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie plug in advice please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by *ChrisB*, Apr 22, 2005.

1. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all :)

I'm just about to purchase a Panasonic TH37PW7 & hoped you might advise me as to which boards I will actually need & if the PW7 has any connections on it at all for what I need ?

I'm assuming I'll need 2 (TY42TM6TC) scart boards as I need to view both my Sky & Tivo through one & my Video/DVD thought the other ..... is this right ?

I currently run my Xbox, PS2 & Camcorder through the SVHS input in the front of my current Sony TV so I'm assuming I'll also need the (TY42TM6V) SVHS board as well ......?

One last thing (for now :rolleyes: :) ) I'd be greatful for any opinions on the Omnimount U3 please.

Thanks in advance

Chris

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Scart and s-video are considered to be inferior video connections. For your sky and tivo you could consider a JS Tech RGB to VGA converter which will connect to the VGA (PC input) that comes as standard. You could use a scart switch box and connect everything this way to save buying any terminal boards, but then you would lose picture in picture.

For the DVD probably best to use component, not usre about xbox, ps2 and camcorder, someone else will be able to help you with that.

I have that Omnimount bracket, it is very good, strong and easy to fit, but maybe a bit of overkill for the 37", I think I could have got away with the next size down. It doesn't matter though except the brackets fixed to the screen are just the same size of the screen, so you have to fix them just right to stop them showing.

lisa
    :)

3. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks alot Lisa :) :)

I've just tried to digest the Plasma connection guide on JS Tech's website (thanks for the tip there :thumbsup: ) & I think I'm getting there.....

So I'd connect my Sky/Tivo through the 'RGB to VGA converter' :) that seems straight foward enough but my Dvd player (an old Panasonic RV60) doesn't have component out so I guess I'd have connect my DVD & VCR to a scart board via one of JS Tech's 'Master Scart Controllers' ?? or am I getting it all wrong lol :confused:

Chris

4. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    chris i just got 42" recently and have similar setup. i bought js tech rgb-vga box and have my sky+ running thru this to the vga port on the screen. not sure what your sky is like but i can plug a dvd player through the other scart socket in my sky+ and when i switch it on it overrides the sky signal through the js tech and i can watch the dvd. this might save a scart socket.
    i bought the cheap component board with bnc connectors to connect my games consoles and will also use this for new dvd player i am getting that has component out. this board needs bnc adapters for a standard component cable but board is about half the cost of a standard component board and adapters are pretty cheap.
    have you got an av amp?? an av amp can help with connections also as you can route some things through them too.

cheers

5. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks is111 :)

I'm not sure I can do the same as I have the Tivo in between the Tv & Sky machine ??

I'm now thinking I maybe better of sending the VCR - DVD signal to the RGB/VGA converter & just buying one scart board for my the TiVo/Sky signal, the component board sounds perfect for the consoles & later Dvd update, any chance you could send me the link please :)

Oh & I've got an Arcam AV50 amp which is getting on a bit but still sounds fantastic

Thanks alot

Chris

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Problem with this is that the JS Tech converter does convert the video signal, so by going straight into a scart terminal board you will probably be losing some picture quality. Are you sure you can not 'daisy chain' by scart in and out of various equipment.... if not maybe a scart switcher may be better?

I am sure HornyDragon could solve this in 20 seconds, maybe he will come along and give you a hand in a sec.... ;)

7. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks again Lisa :) I'm hoping to buy the screen tommorow want to make sure I don't waste money on things I dont need ....

I'll look foward to the arrival of the horny one :)

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Where are you buying it from?

9. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Richersounds in Reading £999 seems to be the best deal locally, following your advice I expect it'll just be the screen I'll be buying from them.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    something to note JS RGB>VGA wont work with VCR.

11. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Doh ! just when I thought I had it sorted lol

ok, so ignoring the consoles for the minute, what is the best way to hook up my DVD (which doesnt have component out), VCR, Sky & TiVo ? :lease:

Chris :)

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what is the DVD player? is it a VCR/DVD combi thingy? also have you read the help a beginner thread in the plasma FAQ at the top "£2k to spend"

13. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Oh crikey, sorry Chris looks like you may have to get the scart board for your VCR after all - do you need a VCR though? Maybe as cheap to buy a new DVD player whilst you are in Richer Sounds (trade counter is fab!) with component out....?

If you do need a scart board, or any other terminal boards this place is good.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

lisa

Looking again at www.day3.co.uk you could probably get the component board at £67 plus a cheap DVD player from RS for the same price as the scart terminal board!

14. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks guys, I'm sorry if I'm dragging this out a bit ....

It's a Panasonic RV60 (I need a Dvd player with a built in decoder to feed the 5.1 to my Arcam AV50 Amp) so I'm keeping the Dvd player.

I've read the "£2k" thread but I'm goinf to be keeping all my existing equiptment.

What I'm really trying to establish is what I need (& from my wifes point of view what it's going to cost ....) to connect my existing equiptment to the the new plasma.

Chris

15. *ChrisB*

*ChrisB*

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Dumping the VCR is looking more & more likely :cool:

Thanks for all your help today Lisa, you've helped keep me a little less confused :)

16. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Oh good, I thought I may have confused you more!
    lisa