1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie....please help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by newkeebrown, Dec 30, 2001.

1. newkeebrown

newkeebrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am currently looking to upgrade my audio to DTS/DD.

My current setup:
    B&W DM601 MKI's (I like these)
    Pioneer DV-535 DVD player (DTS/DD internal decoding)
    Pioneer SX-205 Tuner Amp (stereo only)

Do I:
    1. Buy secondhand Sony DAVS300 for £300 (sell old gear)
    2. Buy secondhand Pioneer NS-DV55 for £350 (sell old gear)
    3. Buy secondhand Sony STR930 for £150 (keeping old speakers and DVD player and go out and buy the extra satellites and bass)

If anyone knows of a different direction I can go (i.e just buy processor and extra speakers)then any help would be much appreciated. My budget is ideally around £250.

Many Thanx

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am sure that you will be disappointed if you trade down to one of the "All in Ones" that you mentioned even if you could find one on the second hand market.

The Sony 930 was a good amp in it's day and apart from the fact that it doesn't have Pro Logic 2 decoding is still a good amp.

If you can buy one for £150 my advice would be to buy and put the balance of your cash to buying a B & W centre speaker to match your existing 601's.

Whilst it is important that the centre speaker is voiced similarly to the front stereo pair it is not so important for the rears and I would suggest that you have a look at some of the cheap n cheerful speakers that Richer Sounds sell for rears.

The sub will have to come later

Hope this helps

Ian