1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie please help

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by barrybarryr, Nov 5, 2004.

1. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi,

After having my amp sat in it's box for the last two months I have finally bought some speakers.

The problem is that they do not have any cables with them.

I dont want to spend loads of money but need cables to connect 4 sats, a centre speaker and a sub.

Can someone please advise me on what cable to get for them that isnt going to cost me an arm and a leg and that is pretty good.

Does anyone know how much I will need? I suppose it depends on the size of the room but on average?

Also I have an xbox advanced scart lead and need an optical cable to go from it into the amp where can I get this from?

Can someone please help?

2. Tug100

Tug100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just set my Evo 3b system up using solid core twin and earth cable from B&Q. Sounds like a mad thing to do but I did this after gathering info from this site. Total cost of speaker cable £6.00 for 25 metres. Suggest you do a search on speaker cable. Also consider making up your own with Cat5 (theres a good thread on this).

Running the sub off a phono to phono sub cable (tvcables.co.uk).

It sounds great. Apart from the sub transformer buzzing so thats going back.

3. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You've used B&Q cable?

It sounds like a very mad thing to do especially since I used to work there and know what crap they sell!

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Barry,
    Don't be put off by the budget approach. All you really need to look for is decent gauge wire. Any electrical store will be able to supply you with some reasonable quality wire. I expect B&Q carries much the same.
    Or, like Tug also suggests, try cat 5. I use it and can highly recommend it. It can be a bit time consuming and hard on your fingers to make up but certainly well worth the effort. This is better IMHO than electrical cable.
    It also means you can afford more music to throw at the system!

5. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hmmm, dont know why but Im so not convinced!

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Well Barry each to his own but I will say this. My main system consists of a Linn CD12, Chord DAC 64, Densen 250 Pre amp and 2 Linn Klimax Twin Power amps connected via cheapo cat5e cable to a pair of Linn Akurate 242 speakers. (May one day go active but not yet) Not exactly cheap and cheerful equipment! I've got some £100 a metre speaker cable which I still use because it is really good cable. There is slightly more Bass present with the £100 a metre stuff. As for detail, I think there may be slightly more with the cat5. There's so little in it, it's very hard to notice a difference. I have to use it because i'd never be able to sell it and it eases my conscience slightly and keeps the wife off my back!
    Believe me at first I was very sceptical but having tried it, it almosts makes me cry to think how much money i've wasted on expensive speaker cable. If your thinking of spending less than £40 a metre on speaker cable you should really try out cat5.
    If your in the South West area you can drop in and have a listen.

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Ive been using CAT5 speaker cabling for years Barry too and stereo hifi is my main goal. Do a search on CAT5 & FFRC in the forums and "read all about it".

8. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Knightshade- Where exactly is South West ish?

9. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    BarryBarryr,

There's more rubbish spouted about cables than probably any other topic accociated with 'Hi-Fi' (from both sides of the spectrum of opinions)

B&Q 'twin and earth' can do a good job, CAT 5 is much better but involves a bit of work.

If you have money to burn there are plenty of snake oil salesmen ready to take it off you ... personally I'd follow the pointers in the previous posts and save my money for the software.

Dermot

10. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Exactly how do you use twin and earth in a hifi set up?

Is it as simple as matching the red wire to the red port and the black to the black port or do you use all of it without splitting it?

Sorry if this seems a really stupid question to ask!

11. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Yep got it in one dude. Check this image below of 2.5mm2 T+E

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/CA2.5G.JPG

Simply run the red covered cable to red terminals & black to black terminals on speakers & amplifer. The earth cable (the bare copper stuff simply needs to be snipped back away from the red & black cable ie where you see the cable emerge from the grey sheath) The cable I have linked to above costs 48p a metre from TLC. 3xCAT5 speaker cables cost £1.14 metre and the order code is VB20W from Maplins.

£0.48p & £1.14 a metre for high performance audiophile grade speaker cable does not make much sense does it ?, in truth it’s a big secret that the hifi press / industry try to keep from new users of kit. Ive never read about it in any magazine FWIW. But on the net there are many many users. Give it a try you may well be very surprised.

12. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Barry if you want to use genuine speaker cable rather than a DIY affair then QED original is fine, you can get it for a good price from www.hifi-confidential.co.uk :D But if you want to use the DIY stuff then thats fine too :thumbsup:

13. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  14. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Barry,
    Deepest darkest Devon and Just outside Taunton.