1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Plasma to Connection Setup help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DazzlingBoy, Nov 14, 2003.

1. DazzlingBoy

DazzlingBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Plasma addict world

I have just bit the bullet and bought a Panasonic 42in PW5 ( 2nd hand at a very good price).
    I have a Celestion home cinema setup with the AVP305 speaker pack.

The Panny is the black commercial one and also has the bnc component board in it.

I need to connect the following devices
    The Celestion DVD, a Tivo, a Sky box (panasonic) and preferably the xbox. Where possible, using the optical audio connection for on of these devices

The amp has the following inputs/outputs
    http://www.av-sales.com/html/celestion_dvd_amp.html

So there me thinking, how should i connect all of this ?

Reading through the many excellent posts within this group groups, I have tentatively made a few assumptions

1. It would be best to have just one connection to the plasma (componenet) and let the amp do the switching ? I think the amp can do that ?

Caveat = Is it better to connect to the plasma via the vga connection or the component

2. Normal Sky is considered fairly naff for connectivity,
    I could upgrade to Sky+ and maybe sell the Tivo. I know the Tivo has a better user interface, but i only really record movies. I also get better connectivity options from a sky+ box than a normal one aswell as 5.1 sound

3. To enhance SKY/Sky+/Tivo performance, the Celestion amp benefits from being output into a scaler device and then into a jstech convertor box, then into the plasma ?

4. Tivo, Sky and the Xbox all have Scart connectivity, could i run these into a scart switch box, then use a scart to component convertor cable to connect to the plasma ? Cheapo option ?

5. Should I replace the std mains cables with some sort of filtered ones, and if so is there a good supplier on these boards ?

Its all so confusing, so before i start buying extra devices and expensive connection cables, which approach would you use ?

Many thanks for any advice
    Dazza

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lot of Qs there which I'll leave to other plasma experts :)

Would recommend Sky+ though. Optical out & DD 5.1 on several movie channels.

3. DazzlingBoy

DazzlingBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on chaps, surely some pearls of wisdom ?

any help would be appreciated.

Dazza

4. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TTT

As I would like to know also.

I have almost the same problems also.

Looking in to getting a plasma screen.

I have

Sky digital = scart
    DVD = scart
    vcr = scart

But I'm thinking I'll get the Panny Th42PA20B as it has 3 scarts already. Less hassle in connections, but I am worried to see how it will look, so got to demo it sometime.

Koing