1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie plasma question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Adam M, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Not quite a newbie but a newbite to plasmas.

Am thinking about buying one for use behind my lcd projection screen for use in daylight.

What it comes down to is I am getting married and the other half doesnt want to watch 8ft wide pictures in a darkened room if we are sitting in the lounge.

Suggestion is to put a "normal" tv in. I would only consider plasma or lcd.

first question, is ther a plasma v lcd thread which shows both sides of the argument, unless someone wants to condense it here.

second, what is the screen of the moment, I am not fussed about having the best, more the best value I guess since large scale viewing will be by way of the HS20 in full 8ft glory. I have HDMI facility via my 868i, and since I have not noticed the hs20 making better use of hdmi than it does of component, I wwould rather have a plasma with an hdmi input.

Is anything springing to mind. Last time I look the 434 was the unit of choice, but now I see there is a 435, has it replaced its older brother as the unit to have or has somethign else overtaken them both?

thanks guys, any advice really appreciated.

adam

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have a search for 435 as there were some unimpressed early adopters...... what is budget and does it have to be Wife friendly... If so a Pio plasma TV is best bet..... other wise you may want to consider a sclaer and panel like the PHD7 panny and MXE1 Pio with a lumagen/Iscan IIRC there are a couple of scalers that can be used for dual display ouputs which will simplify connectivity

3. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Adam

If you can find a 434 still being sold around..... just go for it! You will get a fantastic plasma at a lower price than the 435 for clearance. There is absolutely nothing better on performance on the 435.... actually a little inferior than the 434

4. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It does have to be a little wife friendly.

She can cope with a monitor and rely on the system for sound. She is already up to scratch with the ax10is controlling the lot. I think the plasma might be easier than the pj tbh.

Wont be using a media pc type set up as it still has to be a lounge and not overrun with electronics, which is why i am not keen on an external scaler.

do pioneer still sell the 434, are pioneer warehouses likely to have any remaining?

I seem to be falling into the pioneer mould. I would like some future proofing I guess and am pretty sure hdtv will be available in the uk within 5 years. I dont want to have to buy another plasma in that time. With this in mind, i was under the impression that the H6 was quite low res by comparison to some other machines.

I have a US xbox which I play in progressive scan at very high res, wouldn't mind being able to take full advantage of that if I can.

5. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
  6. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Does the 434 have HDMI? I thought this was a new addition to the 435?

7. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Yes the 434 has HDMI. It was introduced with this model

8. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    still more money than I thought.

is there a bargain plasma tv which gives a great mix of picture quality, style, functionality, reliability and hdmi connectivity?

ideally one with a built in tuner or speakers, or at least with that option.

plus, very important, as I need to pass on the advice, pros and cons of lcd over plasma in laymans terms?

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LG?!?!?! seacrh for LG....but i wouldnt buy one......