1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - Plasma, LCD, DVI, Hi Def, 1028p, 1028i, aaaaarghhhh

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stampax, May 21, 2005.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi all, am moving house soon and would like to change my 32 inch Sont CRT TV for a nice new...... something (prob a plasma).
    I have a budget of about 1k - 1.5k (could stretch slightly more maybe, but wife would start to seriously nag me...) and would ideally like something I can hang on the wall (must be bigger than 32 inches, pref 42), and is going to be future proof - ie Hi def. I'm not toally stupid when it comes to technology, but must admit im a bit lost by some of the words thrown around in here - are there any "idot guides to plasma/LCD screens, Hi-def" websites you can recomend?
    So am i being unrealistic at the money I have - should i stick to my CRT until prices come down a bit?
    Any recomendations that meet my criteria? Can all plasmas be hung on the wall? I gather LCD screens are more expensive, so should I stay clear? And how about rear projection Tv's - from what i gather they are cheaper but not nowhere near as good......

Sorry, i know a million questions, but any replies/recomendations much appreicated.....

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    To get a hi-def compatible plasma you are looking at about £1900 for 37" and £2300 for 42" wall mounted. These are prices for the new panasonic PV500, which are just coming out, so prices may settle down a in a few months.

You can hang the plasmas on the wall.

LCD you are looking at more money so plasma is prob your best bet, depend how much you can stretch to.
    You can get cheaper standard def models, from £1300 for a LG 42" (plus wall mount) or £1700 for the new panasonic PE50 standard def model with wall mount and free DVD recorder.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK for your budget £1.5k in current market HD ready 42" is not possible yet, HD ready LCD at 32" is possible HD ready RPTV is possible. RPTV (rear projection TV) cannot be hung on the wall although some are slimmer than your 32" CRT (UK has no HD ready 32" CRTs) HD ready means it meets the EICTA guidlines there are other sets that will allow you wathc HD boradcast and media but wont be labelled as HD ready as they dont meet the specs? How future proof do you want to be?

There are some question you need to answer before we progress,
    What home entertainment kit do you own? HiFi TV, Sky, DVD player/recoder etc (model numbers please)

What are your priorities for the new system? PQ quality, sound quality (this is AV baby pictures and sound), design, ease of use try at list them most important at top

Total budget? (this will change)

Room the system is going into? (lighting and usage very important)

Who will use the system? (kids, partner)

What will be used for? TV, DVD, gaming, music

How technological are you? Are you prepared to learn?

Do you have any PC's in the house, want to integrate downloaded content with broadcast and physical media?

Answer these and you will learn alot, we will be able to help you, you will end up with the right kit.........

4. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for the (very quick!) replies. The key thing is i dont want to spend alot of money (ie 1.5 k) on something which isnt compatible with HD broadcasts - can just see in a years time when people are enjoying increible picture quality of the new consoles, films, and sky broadcasts and i'm not able to join in - would be v frustrated.

I reckon prob 2k - though this really is the absoloute max.

Design def important- want my room (lounge) to look fantastic, with wall hanging plasma over the fire place, but obviously want it to have decent picture quality too. Sound v important, but already have 5.1 set up.

Will be used for Sky, DVD, gaming, and prob hook a PC up to it using freevo or myth.

Definetly prepared to learn - i'm not totally stupid, and know more than average joe in the streets, but following some conversations on here are pretty confusing the way people throw out a whole load of abbreviations etc.

Yes - 3 PC's laptop, wireless connection, etc.

5. daddyorchips

daddyorchips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    EDIT: Sorry to hijack your thread, but I'm in a similar boat. Budget is a little more encompassing - I'm looking at around the £2k mark - but I'd like a nice, new shiny tv too :)

I'm in a similar situation - 28" CRT TV has just died, want to buy a nice new big FLAT one, and would preferably like to get something that is HD "ready". By the latter, I mean I'd like a HDMI port (so to support the upcoming Sky HD) as well as component ports (for the next gen consoles).

Having read these forums for a while, I've narrowed my choices down to a 42" plasma. So far, the three that seem to be the most appealing are:-

* Hitachi 42PD7200

* Panasonic TH42PV500

* Pioneer 435 XDE

Am I in the right ballpark for a decent screen here? The Hitachi looks very tempting at its price of ~£2000 and the reviews seem very positive. There's a few worrying posts regarding the slightly more expensive Pioneer and it doesn't come equipped with any sort of speakers. Finally, there's a lot of hype surrounding this new Panasonic, but how long am I going to have to wait for release? Also, there's no actual reviews of the set yet, so I'm guessing it could be anything from good to bad?

I'd appreciate any recommendations/advice on my selection. I need to get a tv pretty soon as I'm finding real life to be a bit of a bore! ;)

Finally, I discounted LCD due to their limited sizes - 32" seems to be the defacto standard for those screens - as well as potential ghosting/motion blur and their limited interpolation quality. Please feel free to change my mind if I'm wrong about these!

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK guys i would think giving this thread a good read is worth while: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292
    42" plasma with 5.1 etc all in for £2k

also have a look at this: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78824 to see what can be done with enough time, money effort and research.

daddyorchips, the new panasonics hit the first retialer this weekend, only a handful of people had seen them before this.

timescale is important people new gear is always coming out, better faster bigger cheaper!!!! £k might just squeeze you an HD ready plasma at 42" in the next 2-3 months, if you are looking for a system then HD ready is not going to happen just but a spankingly good SD screen with all the bits is on the cards (still able to show HD signals) so you need to think about blowing budget on HD ready kit very early on in HD development in the UK (not really any content yet) or going for a cracking system now and letting HD sort its self out and doing HD in 2-3 years. Remember Sky+ when it first cam out? buggy expensive limited etc, now Sky+ is cheaper more reliable etc. Sky HD will likely follow same pattern content will be very limited at the start and hardware expensive. are you prepared to spend £2k on gear what sky might do at an unkown cost?

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    The Panasonic Pv500's are just coming out now, the Panasonic shops have them now, and the other shops will have to wait maybe a week or two.

The reason I have suggested the PV500 is because I have been reading up since Jan about plasma's and finally decided on the PV500. I was originally going to go for a panel plasma Panny PWD7 (no speakers, tuner, inputs etc) but by the time you have added on the input cards, bracket etc you are looking around £1800 and thats with no speakers.

Reasons for Panasonic PV500:

It is a Panasonic - excellent reputation for picture quality (black levels)
    It has all the inputs - component, SCART, VGA, HDMI
    It is HD ready - blue ray, xbox 360, HD DVD, Sky HD
    It has built in DVB tuner, decent speakers - wife friendly
    You get a free DVD recorder Panny DMR-ES10 worth £250 (most places)
    It has hi resolution 1024x768 so you can plug your PC in and get a decent picture (no scaling)
    It has the latest technology built in (G8 Panel)
    It looks good (not as good as a panel IMO but better than most)
    You can record video in MPGE4 and view pics via the SD card reader.
    It should look good over my fireplace.
    The price is reasonable.

What more can I say? :thumbsup:

8. zest

zest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would wait to see the samsung PS42S5H, looks good on paper :rolleyes: HD ready and only 1500 nicker :eek:

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Judging on past experince samsungs do look on paper pity about how they look in the flesh tho (however if samsung have cracked it HD good PQ etc for £1500 they will floor Fujitsu, panasonic, pioneer and hitachi) unlikely in my book, but possible, perhaps worth waiting for...

10. zest

zest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, i have been waiting for the right screen at the right price for some time now, the pw7 still looks the biz not Hd :rolleyes: , xde too expensive with poor sky sd pq and some screens seem to buzz, would ideallly like a panel dont think i can wait for the pwd8, so this sammy seems a good deal, will be interested to compare it against the pv500 which is one thousand pounds more expensive ;)

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PWD8 and PHD8 will come out pretty much as soon as stock of the 7series is sold so dont rush just yet may be a couple of months tho.

12. zest

zest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice hd :thumbsup:

13. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    What do you mean by this - how can you get a system that is a sd screen but able to show HD signals? I thought it could either show HD or it couldnt? Am i wrong?

14. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    SD models can't show the full resolution of HD but it can downscale it to its own resolution, so it may be HD compatible but you wont get the full benefit of the extra pixels.

15. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ^^ But it won't be able to show SKY HD unless it has an HDMI connector (illegal devices may make this possible, though).

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    all plasma will scale all incoming video signals to native res, now to be "HD ready" (EICTA guidelines it needs at least 720 vertical pixels) however an 852x480 res panel can downscale 720p or 1080i to fit the pixel array it has.
    just like it scales current video signals 576i to fit 852x480 res what is important is HDMI/DVi and they must have 720p and 1080i @50Hz & 60Hz to be certain of Sky HD and bluray etc compatibility