1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEWBIE pj help!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by upallnight, Dec 7, 2004.

1. upallnight

upallnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    hello wise ones
    im getting back in to the pj game (had one a while ago for a couple of months)
    ive managed to pick up a cheap pj for now but it is 4:3
    what i want to know is how do i make the most of this if i get a 16:9 screen
    what are the settings i should be using on dvd player etc?
    thanks for looking

2. upallnight

upallnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    someone must be able to offer some advice or are you all enjoying your pjs to much to answer! :rotfl:

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    It depends on the PJ in question, what it's capabilities are, how far it's projecting with how big an image, and how far way you sit from the screen :)

With a 4:3 projector projecting 16:9 images, you'll always get some light spill above and below the image as black bars (ie the part of the 4:3 panel, which is unused
    for projecting 16:9 images (which in 4:3 terms is 4:2.25)). They can be quite distracting, but there are various ways to deal with this issue, usually in the form of black screen masks.

You should set the DVD player to output 16:9 (as long as the PJ is 16:9 compatible, that is) - this will ensure that the PJ is fed with the highest quality signal from anamorphic material. Depending on the PJ, you may need to set the DVD player to output 4:3 when playing Letterbox 16:9 (ie non-anamorphic) movies, some may scale, others may give you black bars top and bottom and both sides - obviously it goes without saying that for 4:3 aspect movies, you should set the DVD player to 4:3, and use the projector's optical zoom to fit 4:3 image inside the 16:9 screen - this is where fixed mounting PJs can be a bit of a pain to figure out exactly where to mount them, whilst retaining the necessary throw ratio to image size, as well as sufficient zoom range to cope with the above.

4. upallnight

upallnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    thanks for the reply
    once i get it ill have to have a play around i guess
    i wont need black screen masks if i get a 16:9 or is it something else?
    ill be getting a screen that matches the throw , once measured.
    so it would seem light spillage is my only problem?
    thanks
    leigh

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    The 4:3 panel will still have some minimal light being projected in the unused parts of it which will fall above and below the 16:9 screen. Depending on your wall colour and the pjs ability to restrict light when 'projecting' black, will determine how visible it will be. A black matt wall will absorb all of it most likely, with a light coloured wall showing up the overspill. It's most noticable in dark scenes - the eyes iris opens up and you allow more light in so you see the spill.

Adding ND or FLD filters can help reduce black level or improve colour balance if it has a green or blue push for example.

What resolution is it?

Gary.

6. upallnight

upallnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    its 800x600resolution
    it would seem it can output a compressed 16:9 image
    would this be ideal?

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    With 800 x 600 the pj will scale down both PAL and NTSC to fit, so how well it does this will depend on its internal scaler. It's probably better to allow the pj to scale the anamorphic output from the player (compress to 16:9) rather than let the player send it a letterboxed 4:3 image. You'll have to experimemt to see what looks better, but the 16:9 option keeps everything on the screen so is better and easier to ise IMHO.

HTPC may be better for this, but some pjs do a pretty good by themselves. What model is it?

Gary.

8. upallnight

upallnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    its a sanyo plc se15
    getting it from the classifieds on these forums at a great price
    searched google and found a user guide hence me knowing a bit more than when i started this thread!
    not looking for the ultimate viewing just a acceptable big screen image that i can play around with ,prog scan etc..
    gotta have our gadgets!
    just got to work out what screen size ill need
    regards
    leigh

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Just plug your player into it and see what looks best. Progressive scan may look better on this pj, but try all combinations and experiment.

Great price btw. :)

Gary.