1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Newbie]Pc Based Home Cinema Setup

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by didjerama, Jul 5, 2003.

1. didjerama

didjerama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey,

Right i wanna start to put together a home (small) cinema setup over the rest of this yr. I have been thinking about getting a shuttle for a while. Well im a media student and a feel as one i need a good setup to watch media with :D.

Ok. So..
    I think i'll get a shuttle as i want to backup my dvd's onto a hard drive and play them tho a tv. Can i do this, i know you can use s-video out but how and whats the best vid card for it?

Also i want to get a good 5.1 Dolby digital amp to go with a good speaker setup.. Any recommendations?

Can i rig up a sky/sky + box to my pc?

Also any other tips i need when cabling and putting to gether a setup, this is only the planning/working out stage.

Cheers for any help

Didjerama.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what are you intent as your display device?

ad

3. didjerama

didjerama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was think a 24-28" widescreen tv as i only have a small room (6'X 8') And a 15" tft.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok, well the first thing to remember is that s-vid outs on the video cards are generally of poor quality and really guite noisy. The only time i would be willing to use the s-vid out would be for the odd thing i downloaded. Basically the s-video of a pc is comparable to a lower end budget dvd player. So I really wouldnt consider using the pc with a normal tv. The big benefit of the pc is with the likes of your tft or a projector/plasma.

So to be honest i would question that the pc is your best route, if you can live without backing up your dvds, you would be far better off spending the money on a better dvd player and the rest of your system.

As far as those other bits......how much are you looking to spend? You may be better posting individual specific questions in the speakers and amplifiers sections.

Ad

5. Cougs

Cougs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you need to back up your dvds?

6. Cougs

Cougs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another thing is, is it better to connect the xbox/ps2 to the tv capture card, through dscaler then back into the projector via DVI?

7. didjerama

didjerama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i havn't got room for a projector. its only a small room. I got qabout £1500 in total to spend. oh and i need a pc for my games, ADSl and college work(i.e Photoshop, freehand, vid editting programs).

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok then..... well i still suggest that your best bet is to use a budget dvd player as opposed to the pc for dvd playback.

But, if you want to use the pc..... you want a radeon of most any flavour. You could get anything from very top 9800's or whatever all down to old discontinued. I use a 7500 and know there are many still happy with the 7200. But of course dont forget that the radeons are not going to be as successful for games. Actually when i think about it, given you will be using the s-video out, you may be better off with a geforce card because it will better suit your other uses. Basically what im trying to say is thatany half decent video card should do you.

As far as capturing vidoe from your sky+, just dont..... the quality will be worse routing it through the pc and to the tv than it would be direct to the tv.

I presume you have considered whether a little shuttle pc is going to be up to what you want it to do? It sounds like you might need a fairly powerful machine.

As far as the rest of the setup, i cant help there because im not familiar with that part of the market, but as i say, im sure someone in the other forums could help you out.

Cougs,
    I cant say for certain because i have never tried it, but i would assume that with a good capture card and reasonably well opimized dscaeler, you would get better results routing through pc to projector

Ad