1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Panny AE300 Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ramtec, Jan 3, 2004.

1. ramtec

ramtec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

My first venture into these forums and indeed have just purchased a Panny AE300 and have a few questions.

The room I intend to use for the setup is the following size

10'4" by 7'4"
    ______
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | ___|

The door is at the bottom and I will have a sofa along the top wall (opposite end to the door).

The questions are as follows:-

I have looked into the throw distance, and with a distance of say 10' from the wall I will be looking at an image width of 72". Fantastic I know but have the slight problem of the door. So I will need a projection screen or diy blind job. I was thinking about the Ikea blind, but I don't think they are still doing them. Can someone confirm? Also it will need to be at least 72" wide.

Any suggestions? I can't really afford to shell out too much on a proper screen unless sub £100 at the mo.

Thanks

Any help would be good guys, cheers

2. ramtec

ramtec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to the top

3. ramtec

ramtec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    come on peeps, surely you not having too much fun with you pj to give a newbie a bit of help?

4. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll probably find ducking under the screen to leave the room a real pain!! Is there any other way of arranging the furnishings?

As a temporary measure, you could hang a white sheet from the ceiling. I've used this in a temporary venue and it was surprisingly effective.

There is (ready to be struck down here!) really no alternative to a good quality projection screen if you need it to roll up. 5 foot 16:9 is about £150 ish.

5. ramtec

ramtec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks matt

I thought I'd try a roller bind so I won't have to duck. I think at the distance I want to project from a 5ft screen will be too small. I.e. the image will be too big. What do you think?

I've seen a 1.8m blackout blind from B&Q for £50 or a non blackout white blind for £30 what do you think?

6. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i'm using 12ft with a 6' screen. This is plenty big enough and i wouldn't want to go much larger.

Some sites suggest sitting in front of a widescreen image on a tv and moving closer until you feel you have achieved a 'cinema like' image width. Using a tape measure, work out the width of the image on screen and the distance you are sat away. Now here's the mathematical bit!

Calculate the ratio of your ideal image width to distance from screen by scaling up the measurements you have made. For example, an image 24 inches across ideally viewed at 36 inches away would equate to a 72 inch image being viewed at a distance of 108 inches or 9 ft.

Most people find that to begin with biggest is best (boys and their toys again!). After lengthy viewing though, i prefer a particular ratio. If I sit too close to the screen in a cinema I feel sick, too far away and I am distracted by the surroundings, the image on screen has less impact.

You need a white or semi white surface which is fairly matt or unreflective in character. Also, any curvature of the screen, be it horizontal, vertical or worse still, both, will cause panning continuity weirdness (just made that bit up!!), the movement on screen won't look smooth 'cos the focus will fluctuate at fixed points on the screen due to the curvature. With a conventional roller (not tab-tensioned screen) this is nigh on unavoidable.

My guess, try the cheap ones and see what they're like. If you don't like it, use it on another window somewhere and try something else.

7. ramtec

ramtec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks again

8. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. ramtec

ramtec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,

Cheers for your post. Could you tell me what size is the blind you purchased fro JL?

Cheers

Rob

10. ramtec

ramtec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also does anyone know how good the Panasonic PT-L712E is is it much better than the ae300. Just might have the chance of aquiring one and canceling my ae300?

11. coffee break

coffee break

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ramtec

Just read your post and a couple of things spring to mind - I presume you are planning to ceiling mount the PJ (above where you will be sitting). Have you checked how close this will be to the wall and where the fan vents to? I think (could be wrong though!) that the fan blows out the back of this PJ so you will have to be careful how close it is to the wall behind to avoid overheating (I am basing my assumption on the fact that your room is 10ft 4 long and you hope to have the PJ 10ft from the screen):confused: Also, what is you plan for speakers? - you should be ok with a sub/sat setup otherwise you will need some very slim speakers!

To put my bit in about a screen - I can also confirm that a BLACKOUT roller blind works OK but can't help thinking you should be able to get a manual screen 2nd hand virtually as cheap - hate to say this but try ebay :eek: If you get stuck I have a friend who is probably selling a 5ft 3in manual screen cheap (guess about £40 + p&p??) Let me know and I can ask him for you.. Moderator - don't mean to post a FS ad here - just helping out!!

Good luck with your new toy :smashin:

12. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Gotta have a least 12-18 inches for the 300 to vent. These things get very hot (turn off your c.heating). Great unit though.

Jack

ps LMP mount are amazing for the money if you are going to ceiling mount.

13. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Rob,

Yeap the blind I purchased from John Lewis was I think their largest standard size which was 180cm across. Can't remember the length, but I know that it is more than enough. With this width I have a 79" diagonal 16:9 image with a space for a 1" border at either side.

Thanks,

Chris Nightingale