1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie NTL box to Denon 500SD query

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Ace T, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Ace T

Ace T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am thinking of buying the Denon 500 system but am a bit wary as have looked at the back of it and not sure how I would connect NTL box to Denon to TV?? Will standard scart cable result in best sound and picture??? I have an old box so it has L and R phono outs on the NTL box. So what do u think? Also, as the Denon has its receiver/decoder built into the main unit, will I have to leave it powered on to get sound all the time from NTL or can it be left in standby>??

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You can simply connect your NTL box direct to the Denon via the phono inputs, this will let the Denon process your sound. Your NTL box would then still be connected via scart to your tv.

Another way and to save switching between inputs is, if your tv has phono outputs, is to connect phono leads here direct to the tv. This will provide sound through the Denon for anything connected to your tv.

The standard way is to connect your Denon via scart to the tv and it will pull the sound down from the tv from anything displayed on it. I don't connect this way because I am using both my RGB scart sockets for other pieces of equipment and it is supposed to have to be connected to a RGB socket to be able to pull the sound down. Connecting via phono leads also frees up your scarts, if you are using component leads from the Denon to the tv.

3. Ace T

Ace T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So is the Denon kit a separate amp or is it built into the DVD player and do I have to leave the player on all the time to process the sound???

4. Manster

Manster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Denon is an all-in-one with DVD and amp in the same box. Like you, I have an older NTL box with audio outputs - so I have these connected to Video 2. Unfortunately, my RGB scart wouldn't output audio to the Denon and my audio outputs from my TV seem to be dead. My set up is thus:

Denon to TV - AV1 RGB Scart
    NTL audio outputs to Denon Video One Audio inputs
    NTL scart out to TV AV2 Scart

To hear the sound when you are watching NTL - the Denon needs to be switched on and the function on Video 2.

Hope this helps. :hiya: