Newbie Novice seeks help with first setup...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by indiegirl, Sep 18, 2005.

1. indiegirl

indiegirl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all,

I have a Pioneer VSX-C301 (I know it's not the strongest out there but does for my very small room), and am looking for a decent speaker setup.

I've read back through the forum here having searched for posts in relation to this receiver/amp.

However, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to set my speakers (when I eventually choose some) up.

I'm pondering between these or these

(Play might not be the cheapest, but these links are for illustration only).

Anyway, to cut to the chase:

1) should I, once in receipt of my 5.1 speaker package, plug the speakers into the receiver or into the amp (that might sound like a daft question but for someone who really is a novice it's important)? I would theoretically have inputs on both the amp and the subwoofer, no?

2) I'm leaning towards the Missions because I've heard good reviews of them... if anyone has anything else to suggest around the £100-150 (told you it was a basic setup), I'd be grateful.

TIA

2. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    on the back of the amp there is a sub out - connect this to the subwoofer.
    There will also be speaker terminals to connect the centre, front and rear speakers. If you have the manual it may clarify. A receiver is just an amplifier with a radio tuner built into it.

Of the speakers you mention I'd be inclined to go with Mission but, if you can, see if you can get an audition of both. I would also consider the Elac Cinema 1 (http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=657).

You could also look second hand, in the for sale thread here or ebay. You may get something far better and a bargain t'boot :)

3. narcoticsuite

narcoticsuite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Out of the two products you mention I'd go for the missions, also look at the elac system sonofmoth suggested and maybe also the tannoy FX5.1 here http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TANN-FX5.1-SIL

All three packs consist of an active subwoofer (connected by a phono interconnect to the sub pre-out of your av receiver) and five passive satellites (connected by speaker cable to the speaker outputs of the receiver).

For new kit for £200 I think you'll be more than happy with any of the 3 that you choose. Of the three packs, the missions will probably have a warmer sound and will probably be better for music than the other two, they would be my choice.

4. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I would personally recommend the Elac Cinema series.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo-2.cfm/Product_ID/2046

I have just returned to seperates (albeit on a budget) after going the "all in one" route.
    Thought long and hard about the speakers in particular because I was spoilt in this area when I had my previous seperates system.
    I have just purchased the Elac Cinema 2 system and cannot believe the sound quality from such a small setup.
    If you search long and hard in the reviews section you will find they were looked on very favourably by both magazines that tested them, and I would have no hesitation in recommending them.
    Rob