1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs some explanations

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by /M3, Sep 6, 2005.

1. /M3

/M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for my ignorance but I have been reading up as much as i can about projectors and I am almost ready to jump in. Right now I have my 60" big 4:3 old tube which I am about to ditch. I have a kenwood VR3090 receiver which runs my cable, satellite, and dvd. What I do not understand and cannot figure out with the projector is, where would I hookup a cable connection since I do not see one on the back of the projectors. I want to run everything through my receiver like I currently am running unless there is a better way for better sound/video. I am currently stuck between a benq 5120 and sanyo z3. MY receiver only has svideo and video inputs. I am also using a sony progressive scan NC-655P DVD Player. Thanks for any advice.

2. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    All the PJs share more or less the same connections as your telly will with a few more to boot.

[​IMG]

This is the back of the AE700 which has a standard array of connections. Its worth checking with ProjectorCentral what connections your PJ has. So to hook up cable you could do it through SCART or SVideo, the vast majority of Projectors will have SVideo, its what I'm currently using on my AE700 / SKY connection.

3. /M3

/M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do I hookup the audio to in order to watch hdtv? I need it to go to my receiver.

4. /M3

/M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump

5. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Not entirely sure I follow you.... Your audio will go from your source ( DVD / cable) to the reciever and then onto the speakers, it'll never go near the PJ.

6. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha, here-in lies one of the problems when moving to a projector - you need an independent sound system. Typically use a AV-Receiver/Amp with surround speakers.

7. /M3

/M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I have now. Theres one thing I am not getting, I must be retarded or something. The projector video will run to the dvd player. Audio will go from the dvd to the receiver. Where does hdtv come into play for video and audio? I dont understand how I get that function to work now. TO me it seems like the dvd player is the only thing which will connect properly. Currently all video and sound for all my devices, sattelite, cable tv, dvd runs off my receiver.

8. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You connect a HDMI DVD player to your projector using a HDMI cable typically.

You also connect the digital sound out (either co-axial or digital) of the DVD player to your Receiver which outputs the sound to your speakers.

Essentially the Picture is sent from the DVD to the Projector and the sound is sent from the DVD to the Receiver (then on to the speakers).

As already stated, your projector doesn't do anything with the sound.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    HiDef applies to video only, nothing to do with audio...PJ :)

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    /M3

When Hi Def tv arrives you'll have a set top box for that, and the audio lead will go to your receiver and the video to your projector (or a switch box if you're sharing a cable to the pj like the HDMI cable), just like it does with a DVD player.

Gary.

11. /M3

/M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary, thanks that was the answer i was looking for. I guess now I will have to look into getting a splitter for hi def.

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    Gefen make good quality switch boxes I believe, so it might be worth looking out for those.

Gary.

13. /M3

/M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do most hi def boxes have a dvi output? Since I will be getting the benq 5120 most likely I can run component video to my dvd player and figured I could run dvi to the hi def box if they are capable of handling that. My dvd player does not have a dvi output so component i guess is the best way to go for now.

14. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I thought DVI ( HDMI) was the only way could carry a HD signal .. but I may be wrong.

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    Component can carry HD content, but only if it doesn't have HDCP IIRC. You need a digital connection for the HD copy protrction hand-shaking to work I believe.

Gary.

16. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    Component can carry HD content, but only if it doesn't have HDCP IIRC. You need a digital connection for the HD copy protection hand-shaking to work I believe.

Gary.