1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs some advice.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by RyanK, Sep 20, 2005.

1. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    For the last few weeks i have been choosing between 4 LCD tv`s and have decided on a Panny 500.

However after seeing a DLP in Comet and seeing members photos on this forum i might buy a DLP instead.

However i have heard many conflicting stories and need some clarification.

Can a DLP handle both PAL and NTSC sources. The majority of my DVD`s are R1.

I have read that the lamp gets dull quite quick and needs replacing at £200 a time is this true?

Lastly owing to my living room being very long and only about 2.1mtrs wide i sit 1.5mtrs away from my tv. Would this be too close to view a screen of 45"?

2. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    PAL and NTSC - yes, they can take generally both - most are optimised for one or the other though there is very little in it really. However, some have a real issue with the refresh rate for R1 - a search through these forums should help.
    Lamp does need replacing at some point and is supposed to be quite expensive ... but I've nver changed it yet & I certainly wouldn't say it gets dull quickly. Also worth pointing out that it is the only piece that will degrade - once replaced it would be as good as new - no screen burn (a la plasma).
    As for distance - well, it is close, but many people do watch from pretty close - the picture on many is quite good enough (My kids watch our 50" Samsung from about 2 m, despite our suggestions that further back would be 'good').
    Cheers
    Greg