newbie needs help

bradfordkid

Standard Member
hi i'm new here i wondered if anyone can help?. i have bought a 42 inch lg 4ins lg3000 and i use it with a virgin cable box connected with a scart lead my problem is the picture quality from sd source is not very good faces look like they have been painted by numbers no detail at all, the picture from my computers high def stuff and dvds off my dvd player look great, is this why you never see a sd picture on tvs in shops?i have an old sky box and its the same

pdoherty76

hi i'm new here i wondered if anyone can help?. i have bought a 42 inch lg 4ins lg3000 and i use it with a virgin cable box connected with a scart lead my problem is the picture quality from sd source is not very good faces look like they have been painted by numbers no detail at all, the picture from my computers high def stuff and dvds off my dvd player look great, is this why you never see a sd picture on tvs in shops?i have an old sky box and its the same

I have exactly the same TV. I totally agree with you, the picture from HDMI on upscaled SD looks fantastic and so does my PC. But the scart picture on my DVD player and inbuilt freeview picture is garbage.

You have to remember that we have bought the very bottom end set of the range and LG arent pioneer or panasonic.

All I can suggest is that you make sure the scart connection is RGB, ie make sure its plugged into AV1 and is an RGB scart cable and that the virgin box is sending RGB SCART to the TV. That should improve the picture to an extent as I suspect you arent using RGB at the minute.

Also you might like to try calibrating the TV with digital video essentials as that might produce a better SCART picture.

Of course you could entirely eliminate the problem by getting the V+ box for £75 quid from virgin. That will connect by HDMI and you will then have access to their HD services.

Hope this helps.

bradfordkid

Standard Member
hi thxs for your reply yes i am using rgb scart i have a cheap dvd player from asda an onn brand with hdmi out and its fantastic it makes dvds look as good as hi def and i have the virgin box on av1, i think you might be right with the v+ box see if i can get a good deal from virgin, it looks like hdmi is the only way to get a good picture from this set, would be nice to hear anyone comment from lg

ptruman

Any "unmodified" SD signal on an HD display will never look 'great' - and the bigger your screen, the more you'll notice.

Try playing a Wii in 480i mode using component cables, after using 576p via SCART on a CRT - it looks god awful, but you get used to it.

I have a 32LG7000 with Virgin Media connected to a TiVo, connected to a DVD+RW, connected to the TV, all on AV1 - and the picture from the TiVo/VM combination is as good as the in built DTV - but still isn't 'great'.

And DVDs are watchable, but lob them in my PS3 with upscaled HDMI out and it's a different story altogether.

Of the two reasons I didn't go greater than 32", one was the available space in my (small!) lounge and two was the fact that non-HD content will look like crap!

pdoherty76

hi thxs for your reply yes i am using rgb scart i have a cheap dvd player from asda an onn brand with hdmi out and its fantastic it makes dvds look as good as hi def and i have the virgin box on av1, i think you might be right with the v+ box see if i can get a good deal from virgin, it looks like hdmi is the only way to get a good picture from this set, would be nice to hear anyone comment from lg

In the meantime check out these settings that were posted by a professional calibrator working on our TV:

Re:LG model: 42LG30 - Forum*-*TweakTV

They wont be perfect for everybodys viewing environment but I have followed his basic settings and the Tv looks far better. In particular putting the mode to cinema and adjusting the sharpness to 29 and the brightness to 37 made a huge difference to me.

Also make sure you have noise reduction and fresh contrast etc set to off.

D

darrenj1471

Why do you keep saying use AV1 for DVD player ?

I used AV1 for my DVD player via brand new scart cable and its AWFUL, everything is blurred and in double vision

As soon as I swapped DVD scart to AV2, voila, awesome picture quality

Why is this ??

J4CK DANIELS

Why do you keep saying use AV1 for DVD player ?

I used AV1 for my DVD player via brand new scart cable and its AWFUL, everything is blurred and in double vision

As soon as I swapped DVD scart to AV2, voila, awesome picture quality

Why is this ??

AV1 is a fully wired SCART connection (including RGB). have a look in your DVD menu and see if it says anything about switching to RGB? the PQ should be better.

bradfordkid

Standard Member
just an update on my problem, the picture now seems a lot better after a few weeks. my mate who has a sony bravia said that it took a month for his picture to settle down i didn't beleive him but maybe he's right. just one thing how do you gei terrestial tv on? it keeps wanting to open freeview but my reception is not good for freeview

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom