Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Newbie needs help !!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DanT, Sep 11, 2005.

1. DanT

DanT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: HI, i have 800-1000gbp to buy a projector. My needs are as follows
    high defninition for the XBOX 360 (component input ??)
    widescreen naturally
    want a screen to sit at a max of 10-12 feet away from projector

Any tips on future proofing would be cool.

oh and it must make me go wow !! ! I have an old Tosh 42wh18B rear projection tv and have loved it for 4 years and if i am going bigger it needs to be at leasT as good as the old Tosh !

The point of purchase really is for the gaming side of things (GC and Xbox)and i couldn't find a thread dedicated to that - thanks !
    thanks
    daniel :lease:

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Sanyo Z3, £800, HiDef ready, comes with a free spare bulb (worth £200ish I think) and a 3yr warranty.

Both the Panasonic AE700 and Hitachi PJTX100 will give equal picture quality but they are more expensive, don't come with the spare bulb, and only have a 1yr warranty.

All these machines are LCD by the way, you'd need to go over £1500 to get a HiDef capable DLP machine.

You can get standard def DLP's such as the Infocus 4805 or the Optomo H30a within your budget...PJ :)

3. DanT

DanT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a pull down screen ? If i can pick up a Z3 for 800gbp then i have 200gbp towards cabling and screen - or can i just use my white walls ??!!!
    thanks
    daniel

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I got the PJ set up first, then made a fixed screen from MDF.

People's opinions differ, but I think it's best setting up the PJ first, then you know exactly how big a screen you need. White walls work surprisingly well. Yes a proper screen is better I'm sure, but it's the 80/20 rule - or rather 95/5 in this case.

You don't need to spend an obscene amount on cables either. I bought a 15m component cable from tvcables.co.uk (I think) for around £15 and it works very well. However Mark Grant cables are very tempting and look good value. If you are going DVI/HDMI try Lindy cables..PJ :)

5. DanT

DanT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are a star.
    many thanks
    Daniel