1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help !!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DanT, Sep 11, 2005.

1. DanT

DanT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: HI, i have 800-1000gbp to buy a projector. My needs are as follows
    high defninition for the XBOX 360 (component input ??)
    widescreen naturally
    want a screen to sit at a max of 10-12 feet away from projector

Any tips on future proofing would be cool.

oh and it must make me go wow !! ! I have an old Tosh 42wh18B rear projection tv and have loved it for 4 years and if i am going bigger it needs to be at leasT as good as the old Tosh !

The point of purchase really is for the gaming side of things (GC and Xbox)and i couldn't find a thread dedicated to that - thanks !
    thanks
    daniel :lease:

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Sanyo Z3, £800, HiDef ready, comes with a free spare bulb (worth £200ish I think) and a 3yr warranty.

Both the Panasonic AE700 and Hitachi PJTX100 will give equal picture quality but they are more expensive, don't come with the spare bulb, and only have a 1yr warranty.

All these machines are LCD by the way, you'd need to go over £1500 to get a HiDef capable DLP machine.

You can get standard def DLP's such as the Infocus 4805 or the Optomo H30a within your budget...PJ :)

3. DanT

DanT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a pull down screen ? If i can pick up a Z3 for 800gbp then i have 200gbp towards cabling and screen - or can i just use my white walls ??!!!
    thanks
    daniel

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I got the PJ set up first, then made a fixed screen from MDF.

People's opinions differ, but I think it's best setting up the PJ first, then you know exactly how big a screen you need. White walls work surprisingly well. Yes a proper screen is better I'm sure, but it's the 80/20 rule - or rather 95/5 in this case.

You don't need to spend an obscene amount on cables either. I bought a 15m component cable from tvcables.co.uk (I think) for around £15 and it works very well. However Mark Grant cables are very tempting and look good value. If you are going DVI/HDMI try Lindy cables..PJ :)

5. DanT

DanT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are a star.
    many thanks
    Daniel