1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dazca1, Dec 26, 2004.

1. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am looking to treat myself to an mp3 player and am hoping to pick up a serious bargain in the sales, anyone got suggestions as to what to buy? best place to buy from (best sale) ?

I obviously want a decent sized HD + good battery life.

As I am new, I need to know if I can copy CDs onto the player or is it only a download thing?

Anyone know what this is like, Creative Jukebox Zen Xtra 30GB, I can pick this up for around £150 ish

2. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cant believe no one can help :thumbsdow

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Dazca

Go for an iPod :thumbsup:

4. Andrew Mogford

Andrew Mogford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    dazca, Creative is a good make, but if you look around online here or at other dedicated shops you should also find iriver (you can also buy these on Tottenham Court road or at Dixons).

People in the know (not ipod fan boys) will agree that these are by far the best mp3 players out there. Battery life is the best, sound quality is the best, and they have a built in decoder so that you can rip to MP3 on the player direct from CD.

They also come with an excellent remote.

The ipod is vastly overrated in my opinion. My mate was going to get an ipod this christmas but I pointed him to review sites (independent ones) and he ended up getting the colour iriver with the photo capabilities.

Personally, I prefer the IHP 140. Black and White screen, but excellent remote that does everything (dont need to touch the player), very light, 12 hours battery, 40 GB hard drive. Works through Windows Explorer directly.

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Gibb

The players that you mention are all fine machines :smashin:

However I'm not a "Fanboy", I bought an iPod as I thought it gave me the best all round sound quality through headphones, in my car and through my TAG McLaren home cinema set-up :cool:

6. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The iRiver is somewhat overrated by the previous poster in my opinion :D Lots of features, but most of them are distinctly half-assed. Poor usability and navigation in comparison to the iPod. Generally speaking it's a jack of all trades, master of none. The iPod is the better player... although obviously if you think you need to make use of some of the stuff that the iRiver offers, it's a shoo-in although the iAudio M3 is worth a look as well.

So coming back to the Creative, it's a bit of a tank but for the money there's nothing particularly wrong with it apart from the size. Navigation's OK, loading is OK through Mediasource and the sound's good. It has a removable battery which is a plus for some, but I think most people won't benefit from it... the likelihood is very high that by the time the battery gives up, it's no longer made. Not a bad buy at all for that price and a good introduction to HDD MP3 players, but I think it's worth spending just a bit more for something smaller which can slip into a jacket pocket without giving a whole new meaning to 'single breasted' :p

8. Andrew Mogford

Andrew Mogford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    well, extremely dodgy (great nick!) you are not the first person to mention that they feel that the menu system is dodgy on iriver. However, I cannot see why - I find it perfect!

But if we all agreed - life would be boring! :)

But you're still wrong! :nono:

:D