1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Davyred, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Davyred

Davyred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've recently bought a Hitachi C28W440N Television, Hitachi VT-FX340EUK R VCR and a Hitachi HTDK170UK DVD player with AV surround sound speakers. The problem I'm having is connecting them to include a sky digibox as well. I've attached a diagram of how they're connected up to now, but I have the following problems....

1) The only time I get the speakers working is when using a DVD.

2) When trying to record using the VCR, it knocks Sky off and records nothing but a blue screen.

Please help....its really doing my head in!:mad: :mad:

Attached Files:

• tv.jpg
      tv.jpg
      Size:
      8.6 KB
      Views:
  2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Welcome to the forums, Davyred.

I've never had a Sky box, so would be far from the best person to help; but do you have the VCR SCARTS connected correctly? For example, you may have a bi-directional socket (input and output) and a one-way equivalent, potentially leaving you with a blank screen on recording (if it's 'output only', for instance).

In the case of sound, it seems that you don't have anything connected to the DVD receiver. Does any of your hardware have phono outs (one red and one white socket) or the receiver accept a SCART input for external equipment? If so, it could be a simple matter of connecting a cable or two in order to use the receiver with your remaining gear.

3. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Shouldn't the Sky be directly linked to the TV, with the video in/out running to the second SCART port?

4. Davyred

Davyred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Andy......there's 2 ports on the VCR, AV1 which is marked for the TV, AV2 for the Decoder.

The DVD/Receiver has 2 scarts, 1 to the TV. 1 input/output to VCR, STB

The Sky has 2 Scarts, TV Scart and VCR Scart.

I've been through the instructions for the DVD/TV and VCR and it seems that I need a Scart lead from the DVD to the VCR, but I don't have a spare port there!! Do I get a Scart block?

5. Davyred

Davyred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sussed the VCR out, thats ok now. I think that I need a scart block to connect the input/output scart on the DVD to the input on the VCR. Hope it works!!!