Newbie needs help with speaker choice

jonesyboy

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm new to the home cinema world and have just bought myself (down to reviews) a sony str dh800 av receiver. Now I need a 5.1 speaker setup and I'm having a few troubles deciding on a system. In the interest of household harmony satellites would cause me the least ear ache! however I could push to small bookshelves depending on price vs size vs performance.
I'll be using the system for blurays, music and gaming all through my ps3 at the moment.

I've been looking at systems that keep popping up on these forums:

Tannoy SFX 5.1
Q Acoustics 2000 cinema package (if I can find one!)
Kef 1005.2
Kef 2005.3

I realise that there is a price range, and the 2005.3's are pushing my budget, I just wondered what peoples opinions are. I'm swaying (unfortunately!) towards the 2005.3's as they're fairly kind on the eye and have good reviews. However are they really £300 worth better than the QA's - performance wise?? Am I paying for a name and design? How do the 1005.2's compare to the QA's as they're fairly unobtrusive and roughly the same price?

All opinions welcome, as are any other recommendations

Thanks

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
I would go with the Q Acoustics 2000 cinema package with no heasitation over the others. Because of their design, style speakers can't handle the frequencies that traditional cabinet speakers can. In my view, with style speakers, part of the cost is going towards the design.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom