1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help with new VGA-RGB Cable!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by MrFawlty, May 26, 2005.

1. MrFawlty

MrFawlty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just received my shiny new cable from Keene and am very impressed with the quality of the cable, much better than I could ever do with my soldering iron!

Now here's the problem, I can't get an output! I have a radeon 9200 AGP card on an Aopen Km-400 Motherboard with a Sempron 3000 CPU with Windows MCE2005 etc etc and it was working ok using a s-video cable, I just couldn't get a 16:9 picture , so I decided to get the VGA-RGB Cable. My TV is a Sony KV-28WS2U and AV1 is definitely RGB as I had my freeview box connected to it previously, which was set to RGB.

I have trawled through this forum and there are lots of settings that people have tried, but I don't really know how to use Powerstrip. I have version 3.54. Where do I put all those settings in the .ini file? Can I not use the pretty GUI?? ;) Which catalyst driver should I use? I have it on a network with VNC installed so I can remotely use it until I get a picture on the TV! I am not a PC newbie, I just can't get this to work!

Any help would be appreciated, especially if you include some screenshots!

:lease:

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The easiest way to configure PS is to copy and paste the settings. Of course you need some kind person to paste them here first, unless you have found a thread that already has them.

I've just ordered one from Keene so I shall follow this thread with added interest!

Dave

3. MrFawlty

MrFawlty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know they can be pasted into the .ini file, but where? Just at the bottom, or does each setting need to go in a specific section? It is obviously outputting something, becuase the mostly black screen is virtically scrolling with something that looks like a computer desktop, I just can't really make out what.

Also do I need to create a custom monitor driver? I have installed a high-res monitor following advice in one of the threads here (A Sony GDM900 or something), is that correct?

I assume as well that if I get this to work, I will not see the boot up screen, only the desktop once PS is running?

I had no idea it was going to be this difficult. I read today that ATI will be providing VGA-RGB Scart leads on some of their high end All-in-wonder cards, so there must be an easy way to get them to work if they are going to risk setting them loose on the general public.

Thanks again for anyone willing to help.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You copy all the settings in one go.

Go into Advanced Timing Options. You can then paste them into PS by clicking on the small clipboard icon in the bottom right hand corner.

Dave

5. MrFawlty

MrFawlty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha (No not the Norwegian band!!)

Now I know!! DaveP, I love you and want to have ...

I'm sorry, got carried away there!

I'll try that now and see what happens...

I will let y'all know!

6. MrFawlty

MrFawlty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It works!!

Woohoo! Using the MCE GUI, the display is perfect. The only problem I would like to sort out now is the hideous amount of overscan when using the desktop - I can't even see the Start button or the clock or the first column of icons.

Oh well - at least I can watch DVDs etc now.

Thanks for all the help everyone. :D

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good news! :smashin:

How long did it take for your cable to arrive, from the date of ordering?

Dave

8. MrFawlty

MrFawlty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    less than two weeks from ringing them. I was quite impressed, and like I said earlier, the quality of the cable is outstanding - all gold plated connectors and very thick, quality cable. :) :thumbsup:

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, it's going to be a long two weeks for me then!

Dave