newbie needs help with home cinema

scotte666

Standard Member
hi all not sure if this is in the right section so sorry if its not...

just wondered if any1 can help i currently have a panasonic dvd home cinema kit which set me back bout 300 quid couple of years ago its 100 w per channel i think.

im looking at getting a new lcd tv soon and was thinking of upgrading the home cinema i have, maybe buying seperate amp and speakers specifically designed to do the job..am i likely to get something that sounds much different ie better, to wat i already have or will i be wasting cash??

something else i want is to be able to have the amp on and wen i turn my tv up the amp turns up as well,(just using tv remote) is this possible because its a pain using tv remote and dvd remote as well. ( yes i am that lazy)

seen something like this at richer sounds

http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...=SONY-STRDE400

not sure if it any good but just want an idea of wat i need, will this with some speakers do? or do i have to spend alot more to get something much better than wat i have??

i would say i roughly have £1000 to spend but that that includes the tosh tv (569) new tosh dvd player 1 that upscales (60) so leaves about 350 ish to spend.can i get anything that will sound much different from wat i have for this??

sorry for the long post but any help apreciated cheers

Sick-Boy

Novice Member
You may find that you have to updgrade your sound system if your old all in one panasonic doesn't let you hook up your new DVD player separately, so it's worth checking that it has an appropriate audio input.

In my opinion you tend to get what you pay for so if you're spending about the same amount on a separates system as your panasonic system cost you may not see much difference

I would have thought separates would beat and all in one system but really you should demo it yourself to see if it's enough of an improvement for you to warrant spending the money, Richer Sounds should be able to setup a demo for you.

Dankeech

I agree that you're not going to get a whole lot for about £350, especially if that will need to be including a seperate DVD player.

What you're essentially looking for I think is a DVD Player, an AV reciever (With learning remote)and 5.1 Speakers all for £350.

You do have the possibility of getting seperates, for example the Yamaha AV59 package at £230 and a DVD player seperately. How this would compare sound-wise to your existing system I do not know, but I'd suggest it'd be worth a demo. Think Richer Sounds and Peter Tysons both stock the AV59 package. It may also have a basic learning remote, but I'm not sure.

If you decided to go for an AV reciever and 2.1 second hand you may find you get something of considerably higher quality for your money.

Dan.

scotte666

Standard Member
i currently have a panasonic sa-ht500.do u think the yamaha would sound any better??suppose what im really asking is how good are the all in 1 systems?would the average parson notice much difference betweensay a 2/300 all in 1 compared to a amp and speaker seperate package costing 4/500?

Dankeech

i currently have a panasonic sa-ht500.do u think the yamaha would sound any better??suppose what im really asking is how good are the all in 1 systems?would the average parson notice much difference betweensay a 2/300 all in 1 compared to a amp and speaker seperate package costing 4/500?

Tbh, i've heard neither the AV59 nor the Panny you have. The AV59 seems to be excellent value as a package, especially as it comes as seperates and is fully-featured too.

Have heard many a good thing from people who own it though.

I'd check the Panny SA-HT500 specs if i were you. I'm guessing there's a high chance the bits are not compatible with seperates AV kit due to impedence. If the impedence of the speakers is 6ohm or 8ohm on your Panasonic speakers, then there's a good chance you could replace either the speakers, or the av reciever and upgrade progressively.

If my hunch is right, the Panny All-in-one will run on weird impedences and you'll have to start from scratch with new setup.

You never know, you may be lucky and if the Panny runs 6ohm or 8ohm, then you could consider getting yourself replacement speakers for now and upgrade av reciever & dvd at another point to get the best out of your system.

If you have the specs on the Panny All-In-One let me know,

Looking for RMS wattages on the speakers and impedence for the speakers. If you could let me know these specs we can look at possible options that don't mean spending money all at once, or spending it now on part of the setup, but higher quality with upgrade scope etc if this is an option at some point.

I'll keep an eye on this thread....

Dan.

scotte666

Standard Member
they are 6 ohms and 60w. to be honest i dont mind just getting new dvd player as well if i have to , im just getting a new tv and just assumed that getting rid of what i got and getting a seperate amp and speakers would sound better???

now im not so sure im happyish with the sound i get from the all in one just thought might be able to get something that was better, i also believe that i wont get any sort of surround sound from the tv as they dont brodcast their programs in pro logic or 5.1???

Dankeech

they are 6 ohms and 60w. to be honest i dont mind just getting new dvd player as well if i have to , im just getting a new tv and just assumed that getting rid of what i got and getting a seperate amp and speakers would sound better???

now im not so sure im happyish with the sound i get from the all in one just thought might be able to get something that was better, i also believe that i wont get any sort of surround sound from the tv as they dont brodcast their programs in pro logic or 5.1???

All looks correct there. Normal cable tv or sky signals currently send stereo channel info. That signal contains info for Left and Right channels. You can have this output by phono connectors (Red + White) or can output via optical in some cases.

Optical connection is merely a connection to transport the info down to the reciever or tv. They send 2 channels, you'll get 2 channels etc. Optical has the ability to transfer multichannel signals when the source provides them.

The main area of surround sound will come from your DVD player, and future sources that contain more than just basic stereo signal (Sky HD I think etc).

Your speakers being 60w 6ohms is within standard AV equipment specs, a lucky thing as many all-in-ones specs restric you from upgrading.

You could try replacing your speakers first and you'll be able to get most speakers running well with your system. At another point you could upgrade the av reciever to a proper seperates one and another time upgrade the DVD player.

£350 should get you a set of 5 full-range speakers, or a package of more discreet speakers and a sub.

Is music an important factor in your purchase?

For me, my system is 50% movies and 50% music which defined how I chose my setup etc.

Dan.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom