• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Newbie needs help: which speakers for Yamaha A-S300?

mrtherm

Standard Member
Hi,

My room is 5x4 metres. I have Yamaha A-S300 (65Wx2, RMS). I'm trying to have a shortlist for audition. I'm considering about Q Acoustics 2050 and Wharf 10.6. (150 W Max for both)
My questions are...
1. Are those floor-standing speakers above too big for my room?
2. Are those floor-standing speakers above too big for my integrated amp?
3. If they are, which speakers do you think I should consider?

My budget for the speaker is USD1000.

Thank you so much for your help.:lease:

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
You are quoting your budget in US Dollars, does that mean you are in the USA? Because where you are located very much makes a difference as to what speakers are available to you and at what cost.

For example, in the USA the Diamond 10.6 is about $999/pr, which is about £640/pr. However, the standard UK price is about £499/pr.

If you are looking for a super deal on some speakers, consider these from Music Direct out of Chicago -

WHARFEDALE EVO2-40 TOWER SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct

The EVO2-40 have twin 170mm bass drivers as compared to the twin 165mm drivers of the Diamond 10.6. The EVO2 is one model line above the Diamonds. Being on close out, there is probably a limited selection of colors available.

As to the amp, it should have no problem with any of these speakers.

So, again, we need to know where you are. In the USA, you can probably do much better with Polk Audio speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

mrtherm

Standard Member
You are quoting your budget in US Dollars, does that mean you are in the USA? Because where you are located very much makes a difference as to what speakers are available to you and at what cost.

For example, in the USA the Diamond 10.6 is about $999/pr, which is about £640/pr. However, the standard UK price is about £499/pr.

If you are looking for a super deal on some speakers, consider these from Music Direct out of Chicago -

WHARFEDALE EVO2-40 TOWER SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct

The EVO2-40 have twin 170mm bass drivers as compared to the twin 165mm drivers of the Diamond 10.6. The EVO2 is one model line above the Diamonds. Being on close out, there is probably a limited selection of colors available.

As to the amp, it should have no problem with any of these speakers.

So, again, we need to know where you are. In the USA, you can probably do much better with Polk Audio speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks a lot for your information, Steve.
I'm actually in Thailand. The price is here is about 25% higher than its price in local country, so I have no advantage whether they're UK speakers or US speakers.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Will you buy the speaker locally or will you have them shipped from the UK, USA, or some other country?

To some extent, it depends on what speakers are available in Thailand. I would personally prefer the Diamond 10.6 over the Q Acoustic 2050i. Another speaker typically in this price range that is very well like by those who have them would be the Acoustic Energy Neo 3. I'm not sure if they are available to you, but if you can find them, certainly worth checking out.

Also, you may find some Dali speaker. The new Dali Zensor 5 and Zensor 7 might fall into your price range.

If you can get German speakers, the Canton are very good. I've only audition one model, but I was pretty impressed.

In some place, you can get fantastic Deals on Polk Audio Monitor Series speakers. Here is an example from the Polk Audio EBAY site -

[PAIR] Monitor 70 CHERRY Tower Speakers Polk Audio | eBay

These are no longer in production, so they are closing out the last few models. But, originally, these were about US$1000 per pair. Again, you would have to find them locally.

Again, it is hard for us to know what models are available in Thailand.

Steve/bluewizard

mrtherm

Standard Member
All models you mentioned are available in Thailand except Canton. I will buy from the local retailer.
I will try to check them out as much as I can.
Thanks a lot, Steve. I appreciate.

Will you buy the speaker locally or will you have them shipped from the UK, USA, or some other country?

To some extent, it depends on what speakers are available in Thailand. I would personally prefer the Diamond 10.6 over the Q Acoustic 2050i. Another speaker typically in this price range that is very well like by those who have them would be the Acoustic Energy Neo 3. I'm not sure if they are available to you, but if you can find them, certainly worth checking out.

Also, you may find some Dali speaker. The new Dali Zensor 5 and Zensor 7 might fall into your price range.

If you can get German speakers, the Canton are very good. I've only audition one model, but I was pretty impressed.

In some place, you can get fantastic Deals on Polk Audio Monitor Series speakers. Here is an example from the Polk Audio EBAY site -

[PAIR] Monitor 70 CHERRY Tower Speakers Polk Audio | eBay

These are no longer in production, so they are closing out the last few models. But, originally, these were about US$1000 per pair. Again, you would have to find them locally.

Again, it is hard for us to know what models are available in Thailand.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom