• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

newbie needs help please

redbull2075

Hi all

I built my last high end gaming rig 7 years ago so I am a little rusty but keen to start again, i am ditching my 27" imac

I am looking to run all games on the very best settings @ a resolution of 2560 x 1440

as well as import and a little editing of family home movies in AVCHD format

I am mainly interested in FPS, simulators and am looking to have a look at Skyrim etc

I am about to purchase the following kit and just wanted to know if there were any glaring errors in my choices.. I have stuck to the usual suspects as mentioned i am out of touch

shopping list after watching utube and reading various reviews =

Asus PB278Q 27 inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor (2560x1440, 5ms, VGA, DVI-D, DisplayPort, HDMI)

Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse

Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard

Slimline USB External DVDRW/DVD RW

Arctic Silver 5 3.5g Thermal Paste

Akasa AK-CC7117EP01 K32 High Performance Intel Cooler for LGA775, LGA1156 and LGA1155

WD Caviar Green 2TB SATA 6Gbps Power Saving Internal Hard Drive OEM

Corsair TX750V2 Enthusiast Series 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU

Corsair 16 GB Vengeance 240-pin DIMM DDR3-RAM 1600 MHz PC Memory

TP-Link TL-WN951N 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter

Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard

Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 680 DirectCU II OC Graphics Card

Cooler Master HAF X USB 3.0 XL ATX Case

Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU

Crucial CT256M4SSD2BAA 256GB M4 SATA III

windows 8 64 oem

any advise would be much appreciated !

Thanks in advance :)

dacads

Great choice of components there, only thing I would point out is I would go with a GTX 670 or Radeon 7970 as they both perform the same as the 680 and the 7970 also comes with a few games!

Also worth nothing Samsung are currently offering cashback on their SSDs and they are top dogs in the SSD game along with Crucial

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom