newbie needs help on PS2 conecting to broadband

newstuart

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi all
Ive recently moved house and just had telewest broadband installed for my pc.I have a PS2 in the living room (pc apprpx 10m
away in the office,My question is this,Whats the best way to conect the two up?(im not to worried if this is hard wiried or some other method as re-wiring most of the place anyway so wouldnt create much of un issue to run cables).Secondally what is the selection of game available like and are they worth the hasle and no doubt expense of all this ?
your help would be much apreciated

thanks guys and girls

Hi newstuart,

ok, I better start by saying that I'm not the best person to advise really as all this is new to me also. At the moment I have my PS2 connected to my pc with a crossover cable (I needed a 15 metre cable, you can buy various lenghts inc. 10 metre nice & cheap, mine cost £6.00 inc. postage), using ICS, it's a nice simple way to connect but it does mean that your pc needs to be on and connected to get the PS2 online. No doubt others here will advise you on the other options ;)
As for the games, well the PS2 network enabled games seem to be really picking up momentum now so I'd say it's a good time to get started. If you try in Game store, they are currently selling the PS2 network adaptor complete with Twisted Metal Black online for £20, a bargain considering the net. adaptor costs £25 on it's own in most places, you will need one of these to plug the ethernet cable into your PS2 BTW.
The game I'm most looking forward to at the moment is Champions of Norrath, this is gonna be a fine game and is network online supported for up to 4 players, very similar game to Baulders Gate on the PS2 if you liked that:)
Also worth considering I would say is SSX3, only on the PS2 is there online support, although you can only have 2 players at a time, but still it's great fun and I picked up my copy for £15 the other day from MVC.
There are a load of other games online so you'll just have to go look and see if there are any you fancy.
Hope that's of some help, see ya online:thumbsup:

Glad I could help!
BTW I found the cheapest place to buy a crossover cable was ebay, there are alot of Buy it Now cables so you don't need to wait for auctions to end, was where I bought mine :smashin: worth a look anyways.
Oh, and here's a link for the Twisted Metal Black package http://shop.game.net/search.aspx
Funny, you'll notice it is more expensive to buy the game on its own than it is to buy with the network adaptor :laugh:

I'm totally addicted to Socom II at the moment, which is pretty good and there's normally between 4000-5000 players online at around 8 PM every night.

I actually got hold of a cheap router so I could hook up 4 devices to my broadband, this seems to work fine and my GF can net nerd while I kill people.

this online gaming sounds like a lot of fun the question is do i link my xbox or my ps2 what a tricky decision to make :D can any of you guys recommend some good places to get the nessasary parts to get connected.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Mr.Screen

Well with the set-up I have I use the same crossover cable for both PS2 and Xbox, I just plug it into the back of whichever console I want to use at the time. I haven't played too many online games yet myself but I'm awaiting delivery of Links 2004 (xbox) and Champions of Norrath (released early June now I think) could mean that cable'll be spending alot of time plugged into my PS2:D

Cheers Tetlee

so you have a cross over lead can you get them at your local electrical store like currys or comet or are they more specialized that you would have to get them from the net.Links looks the bizz what is Champions of Norrath ive never heard of that one:confused: .

:smashin:

Originally posted by Mr Screen
Cheers Tetlee

so you have a cross over lead can you get them at your local electrical store like currys or comet or are they more specialized that you would have to get them from the net.Links looks the bizz what is Champions of Norrath ive never heard of that one:confused: .

:smashin:

no problem mate :smashin:
I bought my crossover cable from ebay, my 15 metre one cost £6 (buy it now)inc. postage and arrived pretty fast.
Champions of Norrath is very similar to Baulders Gate on the PS2, infact it's even made by the same developers. So the idea of playing that online with 3 other plaers at a time should be cool as. There will be the usual online choices such as co-op deathmatch etc. personaly I like the idea of co-op play with that game, oh and you can use the headset to chat aswell :smashin:

ok so its a shoot em up then, im into the sports games really like pro evo 3 and pro evo 3 and of course yes you guessed it pro evo 3 i like a bit of cricket as well and i do like call of duty that is great on line even if i do get my ass kicked:laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom