Newbie needs help connecting tv/dvd recorder/sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ianhpl, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ianhpl

ianhpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have recently bought a panasonic recorder/hdd dmre85 and cannot manage to connect to tv properly along with my sky+ box - main problem is when recording I can only get sky on channel 6 and not on av1 on the panasonic and the picture is not very good (hope this makes sense).

If someone could please tell me how to correctly connect the following I would be eternally grateful:

Phillips 36" widescreen 36PW9607 - 4 scarts on back
    Panasonic DMR E85 - 2 scarts on back
    Sky+ box - 2 scarts on back

I really am not very good at this so please be very specific and also include what to do with aerial connection from aerial to wherever.

Thank you

2. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Use RGB enabled scarts

Sky+ TV out to E85 AV2
    E85 AV1 to TV AV1
    Sky+ S-Video to TV AV2 ( assuming it can be enabled for S-Video )

Set Sky+, E85 AV1 and E85 AV2 to RGB. E85 AV2 connection - Normal.

RF connections

RF to E85 to TV - you could put the Sky+ box in between but is not necessary unless you use it to feed another TV in another room.

Sky+ will pass through the E85 when it's in standby. When the E85 is on select AV2 on the E85 to view Sky ( AV2 is its input channel )

This set up allows you to watch Sky+ and the E85 in RGB. It also allows recording in RGB. However if you do want to record a terrestial channel and view Sky at the same time, then you need to watch on AV2 of your TV as the signal cannot pass through the E85 when it's recording. That's why I said to use an S-Video connection from Sky+ to your TV AV2.

If you want to record from Sky+ select AV2 on the E85.

3. ianhpl

ianhpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for the reply but what took so long (only joking – very impressed).
    Like I said I’m totally clueless on all this and would appreciate further clarification:

1)I have several scart leads – how do I check that they are “RGB enabled scarts”
    2)“Sky+ S-Video to TV AV2” – is this a cable with scart one end and s-video on the other end (I know – unbelievably stupid)
    3)“Set Sky+, E85 AV1 and E85 AV2 to RGB. E85 AV2 connection - Normal.” Have you not duplicated the instruction re E85 AV2?

Again many thanks

4. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's more than likely that they are RGB enabled. You can often tell by how thick the cables are although this is not an exact science. Main way is to try them. If you connected just your Sky+ to TV AV1 and went to picture settings, toggling between PAL and RGB should show a difference if it's an RGB scart.

Yes it is. You couls use an S-Video to S-Video cable. It really depends on your TV.

No - there are two settings for AV2. One is to select whether you want to input RGB or Video ( Composite ) and the other is to select the type of input. You have a choice of "Decoder" or "Normal". If you chose "Decoder" you would only be able to record from Sky. "Normal" allows you to choose between recording from Sky and the terrestial channels.

5. ianhpl

ianhpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Jem - rushing off home now to try it out - will probably result in more questions later.

Thank you

6. joelatos

joelatos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Can you help me please, I have cooonected everything as you suggest, but when I have my TV on AV1 it only plays the sound, no picture is coming out, I have component leads attached from my DVD recorder to my TV as well, is this the cause of the problem.
    Thanks

7. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As far as I know you have to set AV1 to Video ( Composite ) if you are using Component.

8. ianhpl

ianhpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Followed instructions to the letter - no joy - no sound on AV2 and av1 seemed to switch to whichever channel I last tried. Tried upmteen variations - have convinced myself the s-video lead is not compatible with the tv.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

9. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What kind of s-video lead have you got? The s-video plug will only carry the picture, you also need phono connections for the sound. The lead I have has an s-video plug with 2 phono leads all going into the scart - this will carry both picture and sound into the scart.

Can you explain what problem you have got with AV1?

10. ianhpl

ianhpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Changed the s-video lead for one with phono plugs - set up again per original layout suggested and hey - perfect.

Many thanks for your assistance and patience.

11. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Glad to hear it. :)

12. ianhpl

ianhpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :oops:

I've just tried (unsuccesfully) to add a Sony VCR to the above layout as suggested by Jem which had been working perfectly. Finally gave up and went back to original set up without the VCR.
    However I now a problem in that when I select AV2 on the E85 to record Sky I am only receiving sound and no picture.
    I have checked umpteen times and am certain I am back to the original set up.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

13. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No picture and only sound means that AV2 is not receiving an RGB signal. Possible reasons are;

1. You are using the VCR output from Sky to connect to AV2 - make sure you are using the TV out scart.

2. Make sure you don't press the TV button on the Sky remote - this changes the output of your Sky box to composite.

3. Sky is not set to output RGB.

How were you connecting the VCR?

14. ianhpl

ianhpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Jem - I will check when I get home from the office but I'm fairly sure everything is back to the original set up which you suggested and which was working fine. Sky is still working fine on AV2 - just not through the E85.

As I said I have taken the VCR out of he equation now - I tried just connectiing to EXT3 on the Philips TV - picture was fine on EXT3 on the TV but nothing on AV3 through the E85. Also tried it on EXT 4 with same result (I should have asked your advice in first place). I do not want to record to VCR merely to transfer some home vids onto the E85.

Thanks again.

15. ianhpl

ianhpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Checked the set up - had the scart in the VCR socket on Sky+ s/been TV out - everything now back to how it was and working perfectly.

So now I need some help on connecting Sony VCR so that I can transfer my home vids onto the E85 (do not need to be able to record onto VCR).

The VCR has 2 scarts and I have 2 free scarts on the Philips TV (EXT3 and EXT4).

Any suggestions most appreciated.

Thanks

16. agneepath

agneepath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Cut and pasted this from an earlier post

I seem to have a similiar problem... can't seem to connect up the VCR.

Sorry this may sound like a dopey question but as I was searching the forum "Kevo" suggested using a Composite Scart to Phono lead instead of a scart to connect the VCR to the E-95.

is this the solution?

17. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You need to connect the VCR to the E85 and not the TV. There are two ways you can do this - the first is easier and best.

1. Connect to AV3 on the E85 - this is behind the front flap on the left. You can use either 3 phonos to 3 phonos ( if you VCR has phono output - these are usually marked, red,white and yellow) or scart(from VCR) to 3 phonos. To record select AV3 on your E85.

2. Connect your VCR to AV2 on the E85. You would have to disconnect the Sky box temporarily to plug in the VCR. You will also have to change AV2 input from RGB to Video - remember to change it back when you have finished. Select AV2 on the E85 to record.

18. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My E65 has 3 phono input (and s-video) on the back also (AV4) which means I dont have to see the leads, has the E85? If so connect to this and then select AV4 to record not AV3

Wackojacko32

19. agneepath

agneepath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi guys...

which is better:
    3 phonos to 3 phonos or scart to 3 phonos?

or is there no difference?

20. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The reason I suggested AV3 is because it's on the front and he's only using it to transfer tapes to DVD and then putting it away. However if he wants to hide the leads then I'm sure he can use the rear inputs.

21. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No difference just a different type of lead.

22. agneepath

agneepath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    thanks guys... your (free) advice is really appreciated!

23. ianhpl

ianhpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Jem set up as suggested and everything aok.

Then moved it to AV4 as suggested by wacko and still fine - leads out of view keeps missus happy - I have a lot of vids to transfer so the VCR will be there for sometime.

Thanks again

24. SaxmanUK

SaxmanUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK get this??????????????
    Posted this in the Hitachi Forum on the 32" 5200 model with only one Scart RGB in (AV4) and AV1 (component)

I have finally NEARLY worked it out. Maybe some guys here will tell me why I still have a weird b/w picture through AV1 from the recorder

Setup now is

SKY box..................TV out RGB SCart to AV4 Scart on the 5200........good
    SKY box..................VCR out scart to AV1 (TV output) !!!! of the DMRE55
    Panny DMRE55.........component outputs to the AV1 5200.....good on playback and now recording!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However if you place the 5200 on AV1 to see which channel the recorder is tuned to i.e. bbc1, sky (which is now on av1 of the E55) the picture on the TV is B/W and fuzzy and split across the screen!!!!

In principle I would have thought that I would see an alright picture to set my recordings too

Confused by technology

Sean

25. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Saxman,

Change the Sky VCR scart to AV2 and set the Panasonic's AV2 to composite/pal/cvbs (can't remember which it calls it) and Ext 1.

You can then watch Sky in RGB via the TV's AV4 or watch DVD's from the Panny on AV1. To record Sky select autoview from the epg and press the Ext Link button on the E85 remote. The dvd-r will also (obviously) be able to record from its analogue tuner while you watch sky.

26. SaxmanUK

SaxmanUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tellyfiend,
    I may not have been clear in this forum, sorry
    I have standard SKY digibox (not SKY +) and a DMRE55
    I believe this makes a difference
    I get No picture just sound from AV2 on the panny

Thanks

27. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    How do you record from Sky at the moment?

28. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Copied from other thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189744 where you asked the same question. Probably better to stick to one thread per forum on the same topic at least :)

SaxmanUK

Have you set the output of the Sky box to RGB in picture settings. This problem occurs when you have a composite source on an RGB input. If you have, then you have probably pressed the TV button on the Sky remote as this puts the output back to composite. I think this is because some TV's, including my old JVC have a problem displaying other source material when one input source is RGB. Just press sky button again to get RGB output back.

Wackojacko32

PS Sky V Sky+ shouldn't make a difference as they are both capable of RGB output.

29. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is how I would suggest connecting.

1. Requires the E55 to be on even when watching Sky.

Sky TV OUT to E55 AV2
    E55 component out to TV AV1
    Sky VCR OUT to AV4 - this is only necessary if you want to use the internal tuner to record the terrestial channels whilst you watch Sky.

Set Sky to RGB
    Set E55 AV1 to Video(with component)
    Set E55 AV2 to RGB
    Set E55 AV2 connection to Normal

You should then be able to watch Sky on AV1 as long as the E55 is on and AV2 is selected on the E55. To record Sky select AV2 on the E55. To playback on the E55 select AV1 on the TV

OR

2. Forget the component input for Sky and the E55 but allows you to watch Sky without having the E55 on.

Sky TV OUT to E55 AV2
    E55 to TV AV4
    Sky VCR OUT to TV AV2 or AV3 - use a scart to 3 phonos lead ( for terrestial recording)

Set Sky to RGB
    Set E55 AV1 and AV2 to RGB
    Set E55 AV2 connection to Normal

Watch Sky on AV4 in RGB with the E55 off.
    Watch Sky on AV4 in RGB with the E55 on and AV2 selected on the E55.
    To record from Sky select AV2 on the E55.
    To watch Sky when recording a terrestial channel select AV2/AV3 on your TV.

30. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Third alternative to use the Ext Link and sky's epg (this is my set up).

Sky TV > TV AV4 (both set to RGB) via scart
    Sky VCR > E55 AV2 (set to video and Ext1) via scart
    E55 > TV AV1 using component video & 2 x audio phono leads
    E55's AV1 set to Video or S-Video with Component

The TV's AV2 & AV3 can be used for any other equipment (VCR/X-Box/PS2/Another DVD player etc.) - set for S-video if compatible, if not Composite.

The E55's other inputs (AV3 front, AV4 back) can also be used for recording from other sources (camcorder/freeview/VCR etc.).

AV1 is both an input and output, it can input in composite only, but will output RGB,S-Video or Composite. I use it as a composite input from my VCR, but this can lead to a feedback loop in some circumstances, so only use it as an input if all other sockets are in use.

Your non-picture using AV2 is because the settings of AV1 (even though you're non using it) and AV2 are set incorrectly.