1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help choosing, please. (up to £400 budget)

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Reg.T, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Reg.T

Standard Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Keynsham, Bristol
    Hi. I joined here when looking for a DVD recorder, and found the site very useful. Ended up with the Panasonic DMRE85HEBS - 80GB HDD & DVD-R/DVD-RAM drive.

Now looking to get a camcorder, but bewildered by the number of models available, so looking for some help in narrowing the field, please.

Think I'll want to do some fairly straightforward editing, so I guess I'm looking at digital and editing on my computer. Had been assuming that MiniDV was the option to go for (& use Firewire), but just seen the Panasonic DVD ones (e.g. VDRM55B) which take DVD-R & DVD-RAM discs (albeit 8cm), so am wondering if the convenience of playing direct on DVD player, and direct access into computer, would work better.

My laptop has pretty good performance (2GHz, 1Mb RAM, 100Mb HDD, 128Mb Graphics card, mini firewire, multi-write DVD). TV and laptop are both Widescreen, BTW.

My budget could push up towards £400, but (of course) ideally I'd like to spend a bit less.

So should media format be the first decision, or does it not make much odds in practice? Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks.