Newbie Needs Help Choosing DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by pg325, Jun 6, 2008.

1. pg325

pg325

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a DSLR, have a budget of around £300 ish.

I want mainly to take macro shots of my corals and fish in my marine tank, but also take along to the Silverstone GP next month.

As a beginner I really need some help with the mountains of choice and where to buy.

Many thanks

PG.

2. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi there.

Probably best bang for your buck at the moment is the Sony Alpha 200 with 18-70mm kit lens from Dixons - £275.04 and even less using promo code AW5, less again if you go through Quidco and possibly even less if you use an Egg card! You could then add the 70-300mm Sigma macro lens for not much more...

The Olympus E-510 is also good value - and will probably become even better value soon with the upcoming release of the E-520. Olympus kit lenses offer excellent sharpness, and their 35mm macro lens has a very good reputation. :thumbsup:

3. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    A good macro lens like the Tamron 90 will set you back a couple of hundred, so you best stick with the kit lens that comes with a budget SLR. Apart from the Sony there the Nikon D40 is a popular choice for a budget DSLR.

Long term, if you plan to buy a lot of lenses and other extras then the best selection are these brands --- Canon, Nikon and then Sony. Third party lenses from Sigma, Tamron etc are usually available for these three mounts.

Best to have a try of the alternatives. If you buy online at Jessops then you can pick up in store. See www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

4. SatDude

SatDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Quick question Mark, for a beginner would you recomend a Sony Alpha 200 or Nikon D40.
    I've seen the D40 and looks great but the Sony Alpha 200 seems to have better specs...

Thanks

5. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi there. There are so many variables in buying into the dslr world that I think it really comes down to personal preferance. I would say that unless you're a complete technophobe either camera will be fine for a beginner, especially after reading something like Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. :) Of course, if either camera feels wrong in your hands then it's not the one for you.

Also, it's really about buying into a system - some people like the Nikon brand, others prefer Canon. Olympus does everything I need, and having read many, many reviews I believe they offer the best kit lenses. Having said that, I'm sure that if I owned the Canon 40D or Nikon D300 I would be perfectly happy... although my bank balance would make me feel less than delerious - I've ended up with an E-510, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 50mm macro lens, EX-25 extension tube and an FL-50 flash for less than the cost of a Nikon D300. :)

One final word from me! I think it's all to easy to buy into a system and, for one reason or another, end up feeling that the grass may be greener elsewhere. That's fine, but I think it's important to learn about the art and craft of photography using whatever camera you own before trading up... unless, of course, money is not a hinderance!

6. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
  7. Gow87

Gow87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  8. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Aww bless them..El Reg is reviewing cameras :rotfl: I noticed they reviewed the 400D last week...what's next a scoop on the Olympus OM10?

Don't give up the day job guys!

I wasn't too impressed by this comment for a start

"It's also a shame that there is no image stabilisation system and the best Canon can suggest is using a tripod."

err guys...IS lenses maybe?...Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS for £109 :mad:

I must admit though I DID read a very glowing review of the A200 in one of the digital photography mags a couple of weeks back, but I still wouldn't trust reviews from the IT equivalent of the The Sun!

Quick PS

I just read the dpreview article on the A350...not exactly glowing!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra350/page31.asp