1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help: 37" HD-Ready Plasma £1200-1400

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by neilhump3, Oct 18, 2005.

1. neilhump3

neilhump3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, firstly I want to say that these forums are awesome, full of info and help - but I just seem to keep getting lost and going round in circles... Can anyone help me out please? :confused:

I am moving into a new house in a couple of months, the lounge is square shaped and has a farily low fireplace that I doubt will get used bang in the middle facing the sofas. I managed to persuade the *boss* (Wife) that a Plasma would look great above it and would save lots of space.

After reading for hours on here, I still have no idea what to get but I think I would prefer a HD-Ready 37" hopefully for around £1200-1400.

Can anyone advise me on which models to look at?

Also, I know some Tv's dont come with inputs and need extra module boxes, would this be a better route to go seeing as I need to sink cables into the wall above the fire? I assume there will be one cable from the Tv that then attaches to an input box and may possibly make my life easier when coming to hide a single cable rather than a whole bunch of cables - please correct me if I am wrong.

Either way I am sure I can hide the cables one way or another, so what I am really after is a recommendation on what Plasma to buy.

:lease:

Many thanks in advance, the help on these boards is first rate and much better than a confusing Superstores Salesman pitch.

2. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't think there IS a plasma that fits the criteria..

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The best you could do would be a Panasonic 37" panel (TH-37PWD8) with HDMI card which will give HD playback, but not at full resolution. The 37" Viera (37PV500) has the full resolution display but is over your budget. With an extra £50 or so you can stretch up to the 42" SD model (displays HD but downscaled). Bear in mind though you need to leave some budget for cabling etc, and these monitors (rather than TVs) do not have tuners or speakers attached.

Another option is a HD Ready LCD TV such as the Sharp 32" 32GA6e @ £845. This is a full blown TV, with HD resolution and HDMI connection. However the plasma will always give you the better picture, even if it has less pixels. 37" LCD model is over budget again.

HTH and welcome to the forum!!

For me it would be the panny.

4. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Do you really need an HD ready set? That's the question I would ask myself....

5. neilhump3

neilhump3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys, I also asked myself do I really need HD-Ready but a friend said that I should make it future proof and that HD will be everywhere as of next year.

I was looking at the LG 42" Plasma TV, 42PX3RV which I could get for around £1,175.
    There are a few people here on the forums that have said its a nice set, and while its not HD-Ready it is compatiable.

What would you guys suggest if I were to spend the same amount on a non HD-Ready box?

6. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Panny PE50 would be my suggestion.

I just can't believe HD will be widely available for at least a year maybe more - by which time the HD sets will have moved on another generation...

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Panny PWD8 over any Viera for me. The Vieras while using very similar panels, simply don't get the performance of the monitor only models. If you have no need for tuner or internal speakers I would highly recommend PWD8.

8. neilhump3

neilhump3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I found this price http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...m9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=89245 is that good?

Also, will I need to buy input boxes? It only seems to have 1 Scart and one component AV.
    And I have also read on here about the Panny's having a visible line across the centre of the screen and buzzing noises - does that apply to this model aswell.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

Any other suggestions from anyone?

9. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I was tempted at the time to go down the PWD8 route, but the other half struggles to watch a dvd, having to use more than one remote... so the idea of her having to deal with my amp too swung the PE50 for me... it's just less hassle...

10. neilhump3

neilhump3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PWD8 I can find for £1,399.00 inc VAT With Wall Bracket & Composite & S-Video board (TY42TM6B) Colour: Black - does that sound good?

Will I be able to hook this up to my Sky+, DVD Player and Sony 5.1 Home Cinema and everything work? Or will I need to buy extra stuff?

Thanks again for the replies.

11. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Think you will probably need a scart board, or possibly a VGA converter...

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You will need a scart board too. Or the VGA converter mentioned is the JS Technology RGB to VGA device, this will give a better image than the scart (sharper) but will lose you the ability to have automatic aspect ratio selection and colour adjustment.

If the DVD has component connections (three phonos, red/green/blue), using a straight component - VGA lead will give the best results. Otherwise it can daisy-chain with the sky box to go into the scart input.

I have seen PWD8 including scart board priced at not much more than what you are finding. But remember to factor the total cost of required cables, any hidden delivery charges etc too. And definitely black.

13. neilhump3

neilhump3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. neilhump3

neilhump3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you guys advise me on where to find a Scart Board or VGA convertor please?
    Or can you point me in the direction of a package deal that comes with the board?
    The place I was looking at doesnt seem to have Scart boards http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.php

15. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    No that PW8 is definitely not HD Ready! Buying a plasma on ebay perhaps isn't the best idea...

As I retailer I'm afraid I can't discuss prices etc on the forum. You would have to check our website or wait for someone else to chirp in!!

HTH

16. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4