1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs hand-holding regarding hardware

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by groovyclam, Apr 20, 2004.

1. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I've been putting together a shopping list for a HTPC for TV recording and DVD playback

My choices so-far are:

mobo = Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    CPU = AMD XP3000+ 400FSB
    memory = KingMax 512M PC3200 RAM
    Video Capture ( of RGB out of a SkyBox ) is using a SweetSpot card
    TV-Out is via a Sapphire Radeon 9600 128 DDR ( I'll get a modded cable to get RGB via the VGA out of the card )

My questions are:

1) Is it worth getting two 256M memory modules instead of one 512M for dual-channel access ?

2) Are overclock.co.uk a safe place to buy from for KingMax memory ? ( all other purchases are via dabs which I have dealt with many times before )

3) I have no idea what CPU cooler to get - my primary concern is fan noise - I want it to be as silent as possible. Any recommendations ?

4) For the hard-drive I am steering towards a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7. Is this a quiet drive ? I presume the SATA version is better than UDMA ?

2. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3. have a look at Quet PC (www.quietpc.com)
    4. The SATA drive isn't really much better than UDMA but if your mobo supports it why not. The Seagate Barracuda's are very quiet indeed. I can't ever here mine. (I sit about 2 feet away from it)

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    1. The a7n8x needs 2 sticks to work on a 400 bus.

3. The Thermalright slk900 is a good bet combined with a slow running 92mm panaflo or papst fan.

4. The samsung drives are supposed to be better than the seagates, look here for all thing silent and pc. SATA temds to be noisier than PATA because they spin faster.