1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Needs Answers! (some relate to Sony HX510 and Sky+)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Voice of Fox, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Voice of Fox

Voice of Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

Just about to finally enter the world of recordable DVD to archive stuff from Sky+ and preserve some old VHS home movies. Was most interested in the Sony RDR-HX510 but I have a few questions before I take the plunge:

1. I've viewed the on-line manual for this machine and it seems to imply that you can't record to DVD+R DL discs (or indeed any DVD+ discs) in 16:9? Is this correct? Most stuff broadcast these days is in 16:9 so ideally I'd want to make discs that behave the same as retail discs in this respect.

2. I'm currently recording the BBC's Coast series. It will run for 12 1-hour episodes. How many discs (and of what type) will I need to record this in 16:9 and in quality as good as that coming off my Sky+ box? (BBC says there are no plans for a retail DVD of the series.)

3. What's the difference between the HX510 and the HX510S?

4. I'm going to get a multi-region model (just cos my retail DVDs are of varying regions). If I connect my existing Sony multi-region DVD player to the HX510, can I record retail discs? I believe my current DVD player has copy protection disabled.

5. Can anyone recommend a decent, reliable on-line store to buy a multi-region version of the HX510? I would normally buy from Amazon but they aren't offering it multi-region. There seem to be tons of others offering it but I'd rather go with someone who really knows what they're doing when it comes to modding machines. I used to use Techtronics but they seem to have vanished...

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated!

2. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HX510S

S = Silver

3. Starfury

Starfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've only had the 510s a few days, so I may not be the one to give an opinion, but heres what I noticed..

I have the HDD set to Auto for recording screen format, and when it records a widescreen signal to the HDD when it plays back its just as it was when recorded , filling the screen.

I record similar broadcasts direct to +r(w) discs, and I need to adjust the TV manually to 'Wide' to see them as they were shown originally otherwise the signal is a widescreen image squashed into a 4:3 format.

If I dub the HDD recorded widescreen broadcast afterward to +R(W) discs and then playback that disc, its as though it is playing back the HDD footage and adjusts the TV automatically.

As for recording Coast, the highest quality setting is 'HQ' on the 510S and fits 1 hours worth of footage onto a standard disc, so you'd need twelve of them. A DL disc at HQ only provides 1 hour 48, so you wouldn't fit 2 episodes on without reducing the quality to HSP (2h 42).

I dont know about -R(w) discs as I've only been using the + format at the moment, but according to the manual -R discs will record in 16:9 sizes in Vr mode or in Video mode (but only in Video mode when 'DVD Rec. Picture Size' is set to '16:9' and when picture quality is in LSP, SP, HSP or HQ settings)

4. IrishGraham

IrishGraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only had the HX510S for a week now so am still on here asking questions about it but I know for a fact that if you record at the 2 hour mode which i think is SP you will get a perfect reproduction of what you taped off the tv.

I havent tried myself but the machine is meant to hold the quality of the original source up to and including the 2.5 hour mode, after that is starts getting into video quality. So you should be able to your programme in 6 discs or 4 double layer.