1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs advise with a Neovo

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JonC, May 6, 2003.

1. JonC

JonC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First off I would like to say hello.. I am new to the forums ( I just found them ) ...

I recently purchased two Neovo monitors ( yesterday ) .I thought that I had done my homework.. These seemed to have the fastest latency and other features plus they were the best looking..

I bought a 19 inch and a 17 inch.. The 19 inch is being used for the computer and working GREAT!!..

I bought the 17 inch to be used as a television replacement.. I have it hooked directly to the digital cable box using the s-video connector.. The problem is that the picture is less than desirable and at times it is actually VERY BAD.. I was wondering if there is anything that I can do to solve this.. I really like the monitor and I would like to be able to keep them..

help is very much appreciated..:hiya:

2. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the 17" Neovo for watching TV in the Bedroom (got it on the wall and its quite cool!).

As its in the bedroom I had to patch through a composite connection from my digi box, however I run this through a Pro-V box which gives a reasonable picture, from about 7ft (up close its quite pixel'y, but I think this is partly to be expected from TFT/LCD's).

I also have my PC connected via the VGA port to watch DVD's which again are okay from a distance, but quite grainy close up.

hope this info is of use to you,

cheers

3. JonC

JonC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe that is my problem.. I am sitting about 2 feet from the monitor ( it may even be only one foot ) ..

you said that you run this through a "pro-v" box.. could you explain what this is.. and what it does..?

I appreciate the help..

4. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Just a quick question about your Neovo 19" monitor. I'm thinking of getting the same one to use as a TV.

I guess I'll neeed a tuner with the monitor, do they come as a package or did you have to hunt around for a tuner to go with the monitor ?

5. JonC

JonC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently I am not using a tuner.. I am connected directly to the cable box..

That is what I was wondering .. if a tv tuner would help

Neovo does offer a tv tuner for around 100.00 ( does not come with the monitor )

6. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Would that work directly connecting the monitor to a Sky digibox ? Is it possible to do this ?

7. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Would hooking up the Sky box via the component video input help? You'd probably need a Keene or JS Technology RGB to component convertor.

I suspect the problem is between the native resolution (1280x1024 or 1024x768?) of the monitor and the lower resolution TV signal.

I was thinking of getting one of these to play console games on, but as I'll be sitting, like you, only a foot or two away, I'm having second thoughts.

Does the PC input look okay? If not, what resolution are your running at?

Gunrock

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    the Neovo Tuner connects to the monitor via SVHS or composite (can't remember which one but doesn't look amazing either way) whereas the ProV+ tuner is a mini scaler/de-interlacer. Results with the ProV versus without the ProV basically show that the scaling is much better in the ProV than it is in the LCD monitor.

JonC - if your based around here, come down and I can set up a ProV into a Neovo and you can test if you like. Failing that, we'll have them displayed at the showcase anway (see sig).

Smallangryboy - The Neovo monitors basically have a video input on the back and some have speakers built in too. Hence Sky will connect directly and the tuner is purchased purely as a RF tuner, not as a media box like with some plasmas.

Gant - perhaps you could bypass your ProV for an evening (i.e. connect direct via composite) and let us know the results?

9. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Liam,

I am thinking of taking the trip to sunny (hopefully) Tunbridge for the showcase, do you think it would be possible to hook up a games console to one of the Neovo's (like the F317 for instance :smashin: ) so I could have a look.

On another note completely, will you be demo'ing the Celestion AVP305 speaker package? My wife and I are very interested to hear them as we're having trouble deciding between those and the Kef eggs.

Many thanks

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Gunrock - we prefer the Celestion (and of course we would say that!). It won't be powered up at the showcase though, just all the plasmas and projectors plus a few LCDs and some other bits and bobs.

You should come down to our office some time, we've got the full Celestion kit in the demo room and a few Neovos and ProVs dotted around. We'll be able to hook up a PS2 then. If you can't make office hours I don't mind hanging around for a bit after but I don't think we'll be able to do anything during the exhibition (i've got a timetable and it sounds like a lot more hard work than I was bargaining for!).

11. JonC

JonC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam .. where are you located

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

13. JonC

JonC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.. I live in Florida though.. but thanks for the offer..

But nobody has answered.. what is a pro-v ( yup I am still a newbie ) .. what exactly is this ProV box

14. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
  15. JonC

JonC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information..

My question is..

Would something along those lines be helpful..?

16. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
  17. JonC

JonC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0