Newbie needs advise with a Neovo

J

JonC

First off I would like to say hello.. I am new to the forums ( I just found them ) ...

I recently purchased two Neovo monitors ( yesterday ) .I thought that I had done my homework.. These seemed to have the fastest latency and other features plus they were the best looking..

I bought a 19 inch and a 17 inch.. The 19 inch is being used for the computer and working GREAT!!..

I bought the 17 inch to be used as a television replacement.. I have it hooked directly to the digital cable box using the s-video connector.. The problem is that the picture is less than desirable and at times it is actually VERY BAD.. I was wondering if there is anything that I can do to solve this.. I really like the monitor and I would like to be able to keep them..

help is very much appreciated..:hiya:

I also have the 17" Neovo for watching TV in the Bedroom (got it on the wall and its quite cool!).

As its in the bedroom I had to patch through a composite connection from my digi box, however I run this through a Pro-V box which gives a reasonable picture, from about 7ft (up close its quite pixel'y, but I think this is partly to be expected from TFT/LCD's).

I also have my PC connected via the VGA port to watch DVD's which again are okay from a distance, but quite grainy close up.

hope this info is of use to you,

cheers

Maybe that is my problem.. I am sitting about 2 feet from the monitor ( it may even be only one foot ) ..

you said that you run this through a "pro-v" box.. could you explain what this is.. and what it does..?

I appreciate the help..

Just a quick question about your Neovo 19" monitor. I'm thinking of getting the same one to use as a TV.

I guess I'll neeed a tuner with the monitor, do they come as a package or did you have to hunt around for a tuner to go with the monitor ?

Currently I am not using a tuner.. I am connected directly to the cable box..

That is what I was wondering .. if a tv tuner would help

Neovo does offer a tv tuner for around 100.00 ( does not come with the monitor )

Would that work directly connecting the monitor to a Sky digibox ? Is it possible to do this ?

Would hooking up the Sky box via the component video input help? You'd probably need a Keene or JS Technology RGB to component convertor.

I suspect the problem is between the native resolution (1280x1024 or 1024x768?) of the monitor and the lower resolution TV signal.

I was thinking of getting one of these to play console games on, but as I'll be sitting, like you, only a foot or two away, I'm having second thoughts.

Does the PC input look okay? If not, what resolution are your running at?

Gunrock

the Neovo Tuner connects to the monitor via SVHS or composite (can't remember which one but doesn't look amazing either way) whereas the ProV+ tuner is a mini scaler/de-interlacer. Results with the ProV versus without the ProV basically show that the scaling is much better in the ProV than it is in the LCD monitor.

JonC - if your based around here, come down and I can set up a ProV into a Neovo and you can test if you like. Failing that, we'll have them displayed at the showcase anway (see sig).

Smallangryboy - The Neovo monitors basically have a video input on the back and some have speakers built in too. Hence Sky will connect directly and the tuner is purchased purely as a RF tuner, not as a media box like with some plasmas.

Gant - perhaps you could bypass your ProV for an evening (i.e. connect direct via composite) and let us know the results?

Originally posted by Liam McLaughlin
JonC - if your based around here, come down and I can set up a ProV into a Neovo and you can test if you like. Failing that, we'll have them displayed at the showcase anway (see sig).

Hi Liam,

I am thinking of taking the trip to sunny (hopefully) Tunbridge for the showcase, do you think it would be possible to hook up a games console to one of the Neovo's (like the F317 for instance :smashin: ) so I could have a look.

On another note completely, will you be demo'ing the Celestion AVP305 speaker package? My wife and I are very interested to hear them as we're having trouble deciding between those and the Kef eggs.

Many thanks

Gunrock - we prefer the Celestion (and of course we would say that!). It won't be powered up at the showcase though, just all the plasmas and projectors plus a few LCDs and some other bits and bobs.

You should come down to our office some time, we've got the full Celestion kit in the demo room and a few Neovos and ProVs dotted around. We'll be able to hook up a PS2 then. If you can't make office hours I don't mind hanging around for a bit after but I don't think we'll be able to do anything during the exhibition (i've got a timetable and it sounds like a lot more hard work than I was bargaining for!).

Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

Thanks.. I live in Florida though.. but thanks for the offer..

But nobody has answered.. what is a pro-v ( yup I am still a newbie ) .. what exactly is this ProV box

Thanks for the information..

My question is..

Would something along those lines be helpful..?

Thank you very much for the link..
I guess I have some reading to do..

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom