Newbie needs advise on amps and speakers.

lara

Standard Member
Hi all.

Having gained valuable advice on here I would like to put you all to the test once more! ( Please.)

I've got a lovely new panasonic 46pz80 and I would like to invest in a decent budget sound system.

I tried Richer Sounds and the helpful man pointed me in the direction of the ONKYO TX-SR606 which seems to get decent reviews on here?

I am wall mounting the tv and he suggested that this amp is easier than most to wire up as all the cables from the freeview or sat box/ wii/ dvd player run through the amp and join the tv via one cable - is this correct and how you woudl do it?

I mentioned the TV's freeview radio ad he said run the optical cable ( I think) from tv to amp.

Again is this correct please.

My concerns are - is this the best amp in the £300ish price range?

Will I suffer any sound lag this way?

Which sub £200 satelite speakers would you suggest for a 5.1 system?

many thanks, lara

BackedOut_

Standard Member
Hi lara, I am also in your position.

I have narrowed my A/V Receivers (AMP) down to three, the:

Yamaha DSP-AX763 = £289.95

Onkyo TXSR606 = £329.95

and the

Denon AVR1909 = £299.95

I am going to take a trip down to my local Richer Sounds and see first hand wich is my preferred.

As for the speakers, I chose a set of
Jamo A102 HCS 5 which I have heard are very good. (can anyone confirm this?)

Good luck, I hope I have helped in some way. :hiya:

ChrisAV

Established Member
Hi all.
I am wall mounting the tv and he suggested that this amp is easier than most to wire up as all the cables from the freeview or sat box/ wii/ dvd player run through the amp and join the tv via one cable - is this correct and how you woudl do it?

many thanks, lara

Just make sure you get an amp that can upconvert all the video inputs (composite/component/s-video etc) to HDMI format, the amp can then pass it to the TV using a HDMI cable. Do not confuse 'upconvert' with 'upscale' wihich is completely different.

The DSP-AX763 definitely upconverts, not 100% sure on the Onkyo but would be very surprised if it didn't.

I mentioned the TV's freeview radio ad he said run the optical cable ( I think) from tv to amp.

Again is this correct please.

If the TV has optical out (mine doesn't) then this should work. Failing that it would probably have stereo outs which can also be connected.

Chris

lara

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice.

It seems incredible that with all the different sources you only need to run one hdmi cable to the TV - is that correct?

Does this work for the other sources without hdmi like my wii and dvd player too?

Sorry to appear dumb, but it's all very new to me.

ChrisAV

Established Member
Thanks for the advice.

It seems incredible that with all the different sources you only need to run one hdmi cable to the TV - is that correct?

Does this work for the other sources without hdmi like my wii and dvd player too?

Sorry to appear dumb, but it's all very new to me.

Yes!

You can connect the Wii either the supplied composite cable (yellow (video), red/white (stereo or occaionally pro logic)), but would get a better picture if you bought the Wii Component Cable (about £25 for the offical one). The DVD will most likely have component and optical connections to connect to the amp. All will converted to HDMI format and sent to the TV. Note however, that it is just making the signals compatible with HDMI, it is not improving them.

Chris

lara

Standard Member
Yes!

.....that it is just making the signals compatible with HDMI, it is not improving them.

Thanks Chris, the guy in the shop mentioned upscaling - will this box of tricks not upscale the dvd player or the wii and er, what exactly does upscaling mean - is it not an improvement in quality?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Upscaling - changing one resolution to another (e.g. SD 576i to 1080i)

Upconversion - changing analog inputs (composite, svideo, component) to HDMI output (and sometimes component).

Upscaling does not change a SD source to HD, it merely adjusts the resolution so it will fit. All Hd displays will upscale any input to it, which does not match its exact resolution (otherwise it would just be a small rectangle in the middle of the display). Some people find scaling externally to the TV, gives a better image, although this is not always the case.

ChrisAV

Established Member

lara

Standard Member
Thanks for the upscaling comments - a final (probably not!!!) question -

Is there a way to bypass the amplifier when watching the built in TV tuner.?

I can't believe that I haven't even bought one yet but already I don't want to use it!!!

It's just that I would like the kids to be able to switch the tv on and watch the news (some chance) without them having to switch on the amp et al.

Think I have narrowed selection down to the Onkyo or Denon and the speaker choice to the Tannoys or Jamo's.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Yes, when you don't want to use the amp for TV viewing, leave it off and turn the TV's volume up. Simple as that. I would also recommend a universal remote to control everything, so you simply press one button and the remote sends a series of commands to the various bits of kit and sets them to the correct inputs and so on for when you do wish to use the amp etc. You can program various activities so if you don't want to use the amp you would simply program that activity for TV volume only but obviously anything connected to the amp via video cable will need to be used with the amp on.

lara

Standard Member
Hi Dave,

I knew there would be more questions!!!

Will this work even if the aerial cable goes into my freeview box, which will be connected to the amp and the only cable to the TV is a HDMI from the amp?

Or would I need to run an aerial cable directly to the TV - if so - how???

Thanks

davepuma

Distinguished Member
What freeview box is it? Presumably it's a recording model? In which case it will have an RF out so you basically loopthrough the RF signal to the TV so you can use the TV tuner. If it is a sky box, there is no need to connect the TV aerial cable to it, unless you're using RF2 for a second TV.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Yes, just connect another aerial cable from the loop out connection to the TV and you will be able to use both the tuners within the Humax for recordings and the TV for general TV viewing.

lara

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice, I've jsut got a great deal on the Tannoy speakers so all system go as soon as I can afford (bargain the price down) on the amp

The latest video from AVForums

Klipsch The Sevens Powered Speaker Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Back
Top Bottom