Newbie Needs Advice

A

Arshad

n Hong Kong it will be a long time before the Panny 6 or Pio 434 will be available and the prices would be 2 times higher than the current models available. So I just made up my mind to buy one of the following because the prices for these models have dropped significantly since they know there will be newer models available soon.

1. New Philips PF9965 + FTR9965 E box

2. Hitachi 42PD3000

3. Nec VP4

4. Fujitsu P42VHA20

They are all about in the same price range around HK$30,000 more or less. I talked to people at the panasonic and pioneer they said the newer models will be close to HK$50,000, so it's a big difference.
I am not sure about the prices yet but if the difference is that big ofcourse i will not wait for one of those newer models, it is out of my reach.

Please advice on on which plasma should I buy, which of the above is the best, picture wise, connectivity and also if any of them are future proof. I will be using it mostly for DVD and normal TV viewing.

As for the HD viewing I don't think it will be available in Hong Kong for the next couple of years also HDCP standard is not even confirmed yet and they change the standard every now and then, i wonder all these current plasmas with HDCP support, how will they cope with the change?

Let's say the HDCP standard now is 1 and the current plasma support the HDCP standard 1 and if eventually it has been change to standard 2 then how will you make it work?

Just out of interest, if i buy a satellite dish antena, will i be able to watch or receive the HD tv channels that are being broadcasted in HD TV.

Thanks

Hi Arshad,

I'm living in Shanghai and also looking to get my first plasma soon, although probably a 50".

Here the 42" panny 5 is about 39000RMB - not that different to the $HK30000 you mentioned.

I have it from Panasonic in Shanghai that the 42" 6 series will be available October or November in China with the 50" one month later. I would imagine it should be around the same time in HK.

I saw an ad for the 42" consumer 6 series at a Shanghai store for 42000RMB last week so the price rise is reasonable. My guess is that any HK price rise would be similar. I haven't yet spotted one in a store though.

I'm hanging on for the 50" series 6 panny that I hope is not much more than the 70000RMB for the 5 series. Better yet, I hope the Pioneer 504HDE is on sale here soon an at a price similar to the 74000RMB currently asking for the 503HD.

Good luck and please keep this thread alive with any news on availability and pricing in HK.

Fastferret

fastferret

Do you know when the new pioneer 434 model will be available in China. I asked the Pioneer in Hong Kong and they don't want to talk about it at all, they said they don't know. They were really rude, they told me to just check the website if it's there then it's avaiible. That's how they treat their potential buyers. I wonder if something goes wrong with the plasma how will they treat you then. All the technical staff in these companies in Hong Kong philips, pioneer or panasonic when I try to ask them the details of their product they don't know anything, I wonder what they do, just sitting there not knowing anything. Even I, just as normal customer know more about their product then they do themselves. How do they get employed anyway.

Can you ask the Pioneer China if they can tell you the when it will be available?

What are your thoughts on the HDCP issue? Are you considering this as an important factor in buying a new plasma? The reason I asked was, I read alot of threads about this issue and everyone is saying that this standard has not been confirmed yet and it migt change. So all these current plasmas with the DVI(HDCP) input, how will they cope with the change in the standard? Will it still work with the DVI equiped dvd player? Or will there be problem?

By the way, have you seen the new philips plasma with pixel plus. The picture quality is outstanding comparing to the other model available, the only problem is, the DVI input is not HDCP compliant.

Ashard,

I've only found one place that sells the pioneers. A couple of weeks ago I tried asking them when the 4 series would be for sale, but I don't speak Chinese and they didn't speak much english and I couldn't get the message across.
I'm going to another av place this weekend to check if they have pioneers so I might find something out then.

Pioneer's chinese web site has an english button, but its not yet enabled so that doesn't help. If I bomb out this weekend I'll try calling them but without chinese it's tough. I have plenty of chinese speakers at work but don't want to ask them for help because I'm a bit embarrassed to be thinking of buying a toy that costs nearly as much as their yearly salary.

When I called panasonic they were very helpful. Again, not much english, but the guy I spoke to said could I email my questions to him and he answered immediately. Maybe I will be as lucky with pioneer.

Haven't put to much thought into HDCP, although one of the reasons I was leaning towards the pio over the panny was because it seemed until recently that it would be compliant. I'm itching to get one of these new 50" beasts so I don't think I'll let the HDCP issue hold me back. I will use it mostly for DVD watching and the current models look brilliant even on composite feed.

Haven't considered the phillips. I've seen a 42" here but not a 50". I'll check it out if I see one.

The guys in the UK have it so good being able to demo anything they want any way they want!

Fastferret

Thanks alot for the info. fastferret.

Do check out the New Philips, I'm sure you'll be amazed by the picture details.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom