newbie needs advice

I

i am kloot

hi y'all...looking to get my first camcorder and dont wanna spend a fortune.

thinking about a sony trv255 or trv 265.

any opinions on these models? what is the differences/advantages between digital hi8 and mini dv? the only difference between the above models is a dv out..what is that used for?

can anybody recommend any other make/model for the same price..(around 200 quid).

thanks for any advice.

and spent the extra as I wanted DV out. Having researched before I bought my camcorder I think the general concensus is to:-

1. Capture footage on camcorder
2. Using firewire send footage to PC for editing (DV out)
3. Once editing completed and footage now complete, write to DVD and then archive back to camcorder tape (DV in).

Unfortunately I seem to be having problems exporting my edited footage back to camcorder tape (see thread entitled archive problems below) but I believe this is a problem with my laptop not the camcorder.

I believe the only difference between the 2 models in the dv-in/out. I choose a Digital 8 camcorder because my father has a Hi-8 camcorder and I was hoping to archive his footage digitally. I've found the camcorder simple to use, not too heavy and good quality for the price. The cheapest place I found just before Xmas to purchase the TRV 265 from was Amazon.co.uk (£220 ish). HTH

Heather

Digital8 v miniDV

Digital8 is a Sony format and therefore you are stuck with only Sony (and I think now a few Samsung) camcorders in this format.
DV is an industry standard format used by most companies that make camcorders, therefore you have a massive range of cams and features to choose from.

You can get more, cheaper accessories for DV cams from third party suppliers.

D8 cams are a lot bigger than an equivelent DV camcorder - D8 tapes are 8mm, DV tapes are 4mm.

D8 tapes are more expensive than miniDV tapes and not as readily available on the high street/online. But D8 cams can be used with cheaper Hi8 tapes.

Some D8 camcorders can play back old analogue Hi8/8mm tapes and output them via firewire for capture on a PC. Worth a look if you have a lot of old Hi8 tapes but the old cam is now broken. Currently AFAIK only the top of the range (about £500) Sony D8 cam is capable of doing this.

Well thats a few differences. I'm sure there are loads more, but that should be enough for now to give you a good idea as to the differences between the formats.

Mark.

thanks mark..

have splashed out a little extra and have purchased the jvc grdx77..

maybe a little stable door after the horse has bolted kinda question but what is the general consensus on this model?

cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom