Newbie needs advice

emad

Banned for trading fraud
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the world of HC, and would like some advice about speakers' location.
I have room for floor standing front speakers, but not for rear speakers. My room is rectangular with a Plasma on the wall.
My budget is £800/£900 for the speakers. The system will be used for TV/Music 80%/20%.

My questions are?
1- Can I combine floor standing and wall-hung speakers.
2-Which speaker combination would you recommend at this budget?
3-As the sofa will be against the wall, what are my options in terms of hanging the rear speakers on the wall.

I've originally considered the Keff 2005.2 which fit the budget and save space, but after reading some of the threads in the forums I came to believe that floor-standings will generate better sound.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thx

Hi Emad
Welcome to the forums,
What are the actual dimensions of the room and what electronics will you be using(amp-dvd player) and yes you can use wall hanging rears with floor standers but in general most people use standmounters, wall hanging rears with a decent sub for the lower stuff.
Cheers Gonzo.:)

Thank you Gonzo,

my room is (3.75m X 4.0m)(12'3 X 13'2). As I am building the system from scratch, I did not buy any components yet. Budget arround £5000 for everything (£3000 for plasma leaving £2000 for speakers, DVD and Receiver).

I am contemplating the Denon 3803 and 2900 (£1400 for both).
OR Pioneer AX3 and 757i.

What do you think? Which speakers would you recommend for such a room with these electronics? standmounters or floor-standing are fine for front speakers, but I have no room for rear

Thank you

Emad

Hi Emad
The denon stuff that youve chosen is excellent,Hifi bitz are doing the monitor audio bronze b2 package for 650 quid this speaker package is very good and will give you a good step in to home cinema and music ,the rears in this system are superb and hang from the wall you also get a decent sub which you can easily upgrade at a later date, take a look on their website and for what its worth this package is very well thought of in the home cinema mag circle.
Hope this helps Gonzo.

The monitors are quality, but I would try and strech your budget a little further and go for an m&k k series setup, you wont be dissapointed.
Dont be put off by some of the m&kphobics on the forum.

Gonzo, thanks again. I take it you prefer the Denon combi over the Pioneer's. As for the monitor audio bronze b2 package; it looks the business, I think I have to audition them. You think they'll sound better than the eggs?

Dazca1, many thanks for your imput. I looked at the m&k K5. They are £1600 which is double my budget. Is this the one you mean, or is there another model. I can't really stretch my budget that much.

Hi Emad
Yes just my preferance, best thing to do would be to demo both setups.
In my opinion the monitor audio speakers would be a better overall package for movies and music than the eggs but there again its best to have a listen yourself.
Cheers Gonzo.

A quick search on Price Runner ( http://www.pricerunner.co.uk ) reveals Pioneer's VSXD1011 at £499, which is a very good price indeed for such a receiver.

You might also want to consider teaming this with a Mordaunt Short 500 speaker package, which - if my memory serves me correctly - is THX Select certified.

I think Richer Sounds sell the aforementioned speakers (http://www.richersounds.com).

Gonzo, I will take your advice onboard and arrange an audition for the Denon setup with both the Keff & monitor audio speakers. Hopefully at Sevenoaks - Many thanks

Dimmy, The VSX1011 is an excellent AV amp, I can even afford the 2011 which is even better value at £699. The Mordaunt on the other hand are £1600 (Way above my budget)- I am a beginner - remember.

Could any of you guys tell me what you think of the Acoustic Energy Aegis (around £800). As a newbie to HC I would not know if they would be OK to match with the Denon 3803 (my favorit amp so far - based on what I read in the forums & Gonzo's advice). I am also not sure of their dimentions which is important (especially rear speakers).

Many thanks
Emad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom