1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs advice for small room set up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ncc17600, Oct 24, 2003.

1. ncc17600

ncc17600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I'm looking at buying a small home cinema set up for a small room.
    For the visuals, I've decided to go for a Panasonic TX-28PS1.

For the sounds, I'm not really sure what to go for. Do I go for a seperate amp and speakers job, as I would like to be able to connect both my hifi system and computer to it also, or should I plump for an 'all in one' amp/sub and sat system?

The room that it will go in is very small at 2m by 2.7m, so the size of the speakers is important. I haven't room for big ones.

I had a brief experience with a sub/sat system and didn't like it but it was a cheapie cheapie cheapie no name thing from CPC, costing all of £20. I didn't like the fact there was no bass at all coming from the sats.
    At the mo, I use a pair of computer stereo speakers for the sound for the tv/dvd and computer which I have found okay for the job, but then again, I haven't heard what a proper set up can do.

Any and all recommendations and opinions welcome!

Cheers,
    Ross.

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Most ppl here will advise you go the seperates route. You tend to be able to get better performance for your money for a similar priced seperates system. All in one systems do not offer any upgrade path either and you have to start from scratch if you wish to make improvements later down the line. With seperates you can upgrade as you go replacing bits as and when funds permit.
    All in one systems can do the job well and look good but it's been my experiance that once you get the hc bug you'll soon outgrow it and get frustrated with it's limitations.
    If you are dead set on getting a lifestyle system then I recommend you get a short list together and let your ears decide on what system to go for
    If you have a budget in mind we might be able to give you a few pointers:)

3. ncc17600

ncc17600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been leaning towards the seperates system. As you say, you can upgrade different bits when and if funds permit.

I've about £800 to spend on the whole system. The TV takes about £400 of that so I have £400 to play with.
    One amplifier that caught my eye was the Pioneer VSX-D512-K - £159.95 from digitaldirectuk.com

It seems to do everything that I would want an amp to do plus from what I have heard of Pioneer audio equipment, its quite good. I've certainly had no problems with my three Pioneer car head units over the years.

So that leaves about £250 for the speakers and cables.
    What can you recommend for that price?

Ross.

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    When I replaced my initial all in one system I went for the Mission m71 home cinema package here :-

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1342

If you shop around I've seen it for around £250. It has small compact front left and right speakers (suitable for a smaller room with correct placement) that give good stereo imageing and sound for their size. The center is adequate and also compact and the rears are wall mount so don't take up much room and have a small foot print. This package is excellent value for money and is hard to beat at this price point imo. The M72 is the same as the M71 packge the only difference being the larger cabinets of the left and right speakers (giving better bass) and costing slightly more. I still have most of this in my set up after many upgrades using the rears and the center as a rear center in a 6.1 set up. The only thing missing in this package is a subwoofer but you can buy this at a later date when funds permit. Something like a Rel quake or a velodyne vx10 (£199) would complement these speakers. It's not worth getting a subwoofer <£200 imo as they are generally not up to the job giving distorted bass.
    If you want something smaller then you can pick up some nice sub and satellite systems for around the same money. EG:-

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1581

or:-

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1301

Smaller satelite systems will certainly fill your space with sound but I think you'll get better performance and sound (especially when listenning to music) from larger cabinet speakers (bookshelf or wall mounts)>