• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

newbie needs advice for htpc build?

stu1873

Established Member
hello, this is my first post but i have been looking at threads in the forum over the last few days to figure out how to build an htpc.

i am planning on using my official copy of vista premium along with mediabrowser or mediaportal.

my planned htpc will only be used for music, movies, web surfing and i would also like to rip my large collection of dvd's to the hdd.

i am looking to spend no more than £250-300 to build my budget htpc and so far after reading have decided to use these components.

Asus M4A78-SK+ AM2 AMD 780G motherboard £41
AMD Athlon 64bit X2 5050E AM2 ADH50501AA5D0 45W £41
WD Caviar Green WD15EARS 1.5TB SATAII 64MB 3.5 Inter HD £66
Antec slimline case 350w £85

i am not sure on how much ram i will need as i will be using vista. will 2gb be fine to allow it to run smooth?

i have no need to get a bluray drive as i use my ps3 to watch them so i need to get a decent dvd-rw drive to rip my dvd's. can some one point me in the right direction to buy a decent dvd drive and ram at a good price.

also as my knowlege of pc's is limited is the components i have chosen so far all compatible?

any help will be greatly appreciated

regards
stuart

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Where do you plan to get.
Asus M4A78-SK+ AM2 AMD 780G motherboard £41
AMD Athlon 64bit X2 5050E AM2 ADH50501AA5D0 45W £41
I have not seen them for sale in over a year.
The latest versions are a 880G MBoard and say a 245e or 255e processor.
For a 32bit system get 2 gig
For a 64 bit system get 4 gig.
For memory try using Crucial as it will advise exactly what memory the board wants. RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com
As for a DVD drive then any £15-20 one will do.

stu1873

Established Member
thank you for replying.
I have been using ebay and ebuyer to source my parts.
I will have a look for more up to date parts today.

cheers
stuart

stu1873

Established Member
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom