1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEWBIE NEEDS ADVICE: DENON AVR-2805 and B&W DM602 S3

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ws2k, Apr 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ws2k

ws2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys,
    I am absolute newbie when it comes to component/seperates. Need your precious advice on the Denon receiver/amplifier pairing with the B& W speakers. Specifications as shown below:

Denon AVR-2805
    6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0,7%
    Front L/R 135 W + 135 W
    Center 135 W
    Surround L/R 135 W + 135 W
    Surround Back L/R 135 W + 135 W

8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 0,05%
    Front L/R 100 W + 100 W
    Center 100 W
    Surround L/R 100 W + 100 W
    Surround Back L/R 100 W + 100 W

B&W DM602 S3
    Freq. Range -6dB at 40Hz and 42kHz
    Sensitivity 90dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
    Normal Impedance 8 ohms (minimum 3.0 ohms)
    Power Handling 25W - 120W into 8 ohms on unclipped programme

Some questions:
    1. Is this a good setup/pairing?
    2. Will the Denon amplifier be able to handle the B&W speakers (3ohms minimum)?

Thanks in advance!

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    1. Yes,
    2. Yes. Provided that your are not going to run a "test-tone" for an extended period of time at the frequency that the B&W dips to 3 Ohm. You will be fine for everyday music and movies.

3. dazjmarshall

dazjmarshall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Hi WS2K,

I have the pairing that you have and can say that it is a good one :thumbsup:

I have had Denon amps with B&W speakers for many years now and aside from myself, most folk would also agree they make a good pairing too!

Cheers,
    Daz

4. ws2k

ws2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Harry T2 and Dazjmarshall for your advice :)

Dazjmarshall,
    Mind sharing how your setup is like? Cheers :clap:

I was thinking of DM602s for the Front, LC60 for the centre and DM601s for the surround. Some questions:

1. Would using DM601s for the surrounds be overkill? Or will DM600 be sufficient?
    2. Would LC60 be a match for the DM602s up front? Or will LC600 be better suited for the task?

Thanks!

5. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    1. Bordering on overkill, but not alarming so. I would lean to the 601 if multi-channel music is a requirement. The 600's would be fine for movies (and not too out of place for music). However dipoles would be better if movies are the "go"

2. My preference is for the LCR600 with the 602's. But the size of it makes it impratical for some users. The LCR60 is more than adequate with the 602's, but I think the LCR600 is a better "fit".

Are you going to run this with a sub or without?

6. ws2k

ws2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Harry T2,
    I am not planning for a sub in the initial setup. Would this severely handicap the system which will be mainly used for home theatre?

Thanks!

7. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It will be handicapped as current “action” movies do have a lot of activity below the quoted frequency of the 602’s. I wouldn’t say severely though because you will get a lot of satisfaction out of your current (planned) set-up.

If it is mainly for movies, the matching B&W dipole speakers would be better than the DM600. However, they are very expensive, and perhaps (in your situation), surround speakers from another manufacturer maybe an option

8. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a 3805, running 603S2s at the front, and 600S1s at the rear (can you spot the updgrade path my hi-fi system had previously followed? ;) ), with the LCR3 centre (as I physically couldn't get the LCR60 - which I'd demo'd with and really wanted - into the stand I have).

And it sounds damn good, if I may say so. I normally have a horribly reflective room (laminate flooring :eek: ) but there is no problem whatsoever with the sound, the Denon auto set-up appears to have adjusted for it - a very smooth sounding performance is commented on by all who have been 'round.

However, if you are going to use it mainly for movies, then I think you should get a sub (I've got a REL Q150E), if you can afford it. As Harry T2 says, there is a lot of info at the very low ranges - and not just in 'Star Wars'-type action movies, there is an amazing amount of 'environmental' effects in the likes of 'Fight Club', too.