Newbie needs a new amp & is confused.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by callidus, Mar 9, 2006.

1. callidus

callidus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post here so be nice :).

Up until recently I've been using my Sony DAV S880 system (all in one) which was ok and did it's job.

[​IMG]

Now the DVD + combined amp has packed in and I'm upgrading to a new receiver and player. Question is which one?. I want to use the speakers so the amp needs to be able to run them (rated @ 100 watts RMS each). Config is 5:1.

I done some research and narrowed it down to a sony SONY STR-DE598. This has 6:1 config with output of 150W per channel. Do you think these two are compatible? Or will I blow the speakers?.

I haven't really considered budget yet so feel free to recommend anything else you think might be good and work with those speakers.

If anyone has any experience here any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

tom

2. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I dont know the system or speakers in question, but I doubt that they will be a problem for an AV amp. Dont worry about "blowing speakers", you are much more likely to damage a speaker by underpowering it.

Set your budget and take a look at the new Denons and Yamaha amps, then have a listen to them if at all possible. By all means check out other offerings too, I simply dont have the experience with Sony etc to comment.

All of the major brands will do exactly what you require and then some.

As for DVD players, again, the major brands will show you the way once your budget has been worked out.

I do think however that the speakers may be the weakest link in your chain here. These could easily be changed to somthing else later on though. Should you wish.

3. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    I would seriously consider specifying a budget as some people here get carried away :rolleyes:

What did the whole thing cost when you first bought it? Do you want to spend double that or more? :)

4. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    moi? carried away?

Never!

Seriously though, work out your budget and let us know. Also, if you dont mind buying used equpiment, have a look and see what goodies are avaliable in the classifieds

5. callidus

callidus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's interesting thanks.

I agree with you that the speakers will be the weakest link the chain - at the moment I'm just hoping to minimise the damage (to my wallet) and might think about upgrading those in the future.

With that in mind (and in general terms), could I get away with buying an av amp capable of putting out higher watts than the speakers could handle? That would leave the door open for future speakers. Theoretically I would only risk damaging them at high volumes - correct?.

If an av amp is spec'ed for a 6:1 config it's still possible to run 5:1 (dolby for example) correct?. Some proper newbie questions here sorry :rolleyes:

6. callidus

callidus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure, it's been quite a few years. Around £800-900 I think.

7. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    You could get a much more powerful amp and not need to worry, as mentioned a lower power amp is more likely to cause damage. You would really have to hammer it to cause any damage.

Remember most manufacturers of Amps and speakers exagerate the power output quite a bit. Go for the best you can afford.

I would guess if you had a £1500 budget for Amp/Receiver and DVD player you would have a cracking system but you could still get something better than you have for less. I am a bit out of touch with integrated stuff but both yamaha and Denon do some cracking receivers for just under £1000 and that leaves a fair budget for a very good DVD player and some interconnects.

Make sure you do demo first though, if you can get a home demo with your speakers, all the better! :thumbsup:

8. johnnypy

johnnypy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am also looking for an upgrade to my existing system. I have a Pioneer pdp505xde, a panasonic upscaling p scan DVD player, an ordinary sky digibox, and the receiver/amp is currently a Sony davs500 (plays SACDs) with accompanying speakers. I also still have a Technics turntable for vinyl with a phono preamp. My immediate (courtesy of Sky HD!) plans are to upgrade my sky box to a sky HD box - I bought my pioneer in March 05 and I have been waiting rather a long time like everyone else! This would mean that I end up with 2 HDMI inputs - one from the DVD and one from the Sky box. I know there may be component outputs from the Sky HD box, but how long these will output before Sky switch on HDCP is anyone's guess. So what I think I need will be an amp/receiver that will have 2 HDMI inputs; I have looked at switchers and they are ~£230 which is a big chunk of the cost of upgrading my current amp. I am particularly interested in amps that have upscaling conversion to HDMI - however there seems to be some debate about how useful upscaling is with a Pioneer which already does some internal upscaling anyway. I would like to hear views on that too. I am sure I also need to look at new speakers.

By the way I feed all the video signal to the xde media box (eg rgb scart for the sky, hdmi from the panasonic dvd player) and multichannel audio direct to the Sony dav s500 via optical digital from the panasonic. The sky is just 2 channel as its not a sky+ box, but this is also fed direct to the sony. I use the sony as a SACD player and audio multichannel amplifier only.

Can anyone suggest amps/receivers in the £500-£1000 bracket, and speakers up to £1000 which may be worth considering?

:lease:

9. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Best bit of advice i can give is to ignore power ratings and go on opinions. The power ratings mean next to nothing. As others have said Denon and Yamaha seem to be the leaders

Or if you want to spend less have a look at the cambridge audio stuff