Newbie needs a little help if poss...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Scrappy Doo, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Scrappy Doo

Scrappy Doo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I purchased a Yamaha RXV1400 RDS together with Aegis EVO Speaker Package 3B in the Summer.

At the same time, I also got some Atacama Speaker stands for the Rear Speakers. Now, I am stuck in a couple of ways...

1) I am not sure how I am supposed to attach the Speakers to the stands. Didn't really want to drill holes if this was not necesary.

2) Also, I have wood-laminate floors and so if / when I fit the spikes to the stands / base plates - these will damage the floor. I have seen floor protectors (small cups) which would benefit, however was wondering if there are any that you may be able to recommend.

Probably fairly obvious to some of you, but I gotta start somewhere eh...!

Thanks for any help that you may be able to offer.

Cheers,

Scrappy Doo
    :lease:

2. Henryslater

Henryslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would personally – (having experience of both carpet and laminate floors and spikes) NOT use the spikes on a laminate floor as the speakers seems to ‘bounce’ around when the going gets tough and you seem to lose a little this way. The opposite is true when you have carpet – then I find that having spikes in the carpet helps stop the speaker moving around. Although there are different schools of thought on this point – this is what worked for me.

As for attaching the speakers to the stands (and even to the floor) use blu-tak. This really does the business and keeps both the speakers and the stands, still.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
  4. Scrappy Doo

Scrappy Doo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the delay in replying, I have not been at work all week and that is the only place that I can currently access the web... Thanks for your input though.

I have used the blu-tack under the speakers on the stands, and I went to a show in Manchester at the weekend and ordered some Atacama spike protectors to protect the floor...

All being well, should all be set up perfectly for next week.

Cheers,

Scrappy Doo
    :thumbsup:

5. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Old trick I was told was to use a 1p piece (or equiveltant size in currency of your choice) under spikes. As I have carpet, I've never tested it myself. I'm sure it would protect the floor, not so sure about the sonic qualities of currency through?

Tony

6. belgrade

belgrade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to use 2p pieces under the spikes of my floorstanders. They do a great job in protecting the wooden floor, but the speakers would rock on them something wrotten. For one of the speakers, one spike would never touch the coin, just hovering above it.

I went to my local Sevenoaks, and the guy recommended some spike shoes (cant remember the company name, but they are very similar to the Atacama ones). They were £15 for a set of 8, and they solved the problem perfectly. No more rocking and rolling :thumbsup:

Another benefit: before when they were on 2p pieces, if I walked past and slightly nudged the speaker, it would move out of position. With these spike shoes, though, it is very hard to move the speakers from their set position, unless you really want to.